D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is always a chance it could be something else. One the bad side maybe aluminum or bottle cap and on the good side possibly a dime or seated dime. I dig all pennies as a mater of fact I dug 38 yesterday.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off the dang thing isn't signaling its a penny. The detector responds to conductivity and Garrett could just as well placed a different icon there. That doesn't mean a darn thing as many items could have the same conductivity. How about it it is wet, it could show numbers as high as a dime. Silver coins read higher too. Most rings are in the pull tab area but they could be gold rings. White gold rings read in the foil range most times. If you only dig what the meter tells you, you are leaving stuff for others to find.

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First off the dang thing isn't signaling its a penny. The detector responds to conductivity and Garrett could just as well placed a different icon there. That doesn't mean a darn thing as many items could have the same conductivity. How about it it is wet, it could show numbers as high as a dime. Silver coins read higher too. Most rings are in the pull tab area but they could be gold rings. White gold rings read in the foil range most times. If you only dig what the meter tells you, you are leaving stuff for others to find.
I couldn't agree more. Dig every repeatable singal...even it is a penny, pulltab, foil...you never know...and neither does the detector

OP
OP
S

Skoivu

Nov 20, 2011
Southwest Michigan
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Well I dont want to argue semantics. The detector icon says its a penny. I realize that gold and silver can be indicated as foil or pulltabs. What Im asking, and what seems to be the case, is are penny indicators ever something else. In my experience they havent but thats why I wanted to ask.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes sometimes it will register penny but can be a rusty nail. Sometimes a bottle cap will show up as a penny. As Skoivu said the detector responds to conductivity.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive dug tokens, silver rings and large gold bands that when swiped under my ace 250 coil read penny. But you will have to dig hundreds of pennies to get something good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions