ACE 250 Signal confusion

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm getting a lot of scrap iron and aluminum pieces that are reading as Silver, typically they are at the 4-6-8in depths. Any thoughts on why? I am using custom and have Aluminum/Tabs/small iron discriminated out.

Many many factors can influence a signal. Size, orientation, type of soil, depth, a piece of iron near a target. You gotta accept that about 80 percent of what you dig is going to be trash. Even with my whites mx sport large iron rings up nicely, and pull tabs and can gold ring up similar. My personal opinion is to run the machine wide open with no descrim so you dont miss good targets that can be confused with trash, just as trash can be confused for good targets.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the wonderful world of detecting. Unfortunately that is the norm on any machine.

OP
OP
P.ALLEN

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input, I will run the full range again, custom did help eliminate a lot of tabs, most of the discrepancies I was getting were on horizontally deposited items and they were wallet size or larger, so it makes sense.

Chocograph

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you telling me that my ace 250 can do the job any 1000 dollar machine can apart from finding nuggets? :) I have a tornado so I do have the depth.

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you telling me that my ace 250 can do the job any 1000 dollar machine can apart from finding nuggets? :) I have a tornado so I do have the depth.

It's a lot like the analogy in golf "it's not the arrow it's the Indian". All depends on person swinging the coil.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deep rusty iron is tuff to avoid. If a signal bounces between iron and silver it is always iron. If the signal shows up deep silver and you go to pin point mode and it is long, almost always iron. If you get a deep silver signal and you can raise your coil 10" and still get a signal it is a big piece aluminum or a can. If you get a silver signal, dig initial hole, re sweep and it is now bouncing iron signal it is probably a rusty nail. And some deep rusty nails sound almost like a silver coin and are just frustrating. A silver coin almost always has a very short distinct beep when in pinpointing mode, rusty nail will have more of a halo signal, but tuff not to dig.

I was at an old farm homestead the other day and had a deep penny/dime signal, went about 8" and got a great brass reins guide. Same exact signal 5' away and out came a ancient rusty iron chain... deep is iron is tuff.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the 250, spent over half a decade with it.
The iron audio feature on the 400 alone makes an upgrade worth while, not to mention the VDI numbers.

As stated, there is no sure fire way on any machine to avoid these targets without the risk of passing on something good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread