Ace 250 upgrade to AT Pro: What to Expect?

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,

I just ordered my AT Pro and expect to get it next week. I have loved my 250 and found some great stuff. Can't wait to turn the Pro loose on my favorite hunted spots. Think ill hit targets the 250 missed? Is it a dramatic improvement? So excited. Wanted an etrac but moneys a lil too tight. Besides, I feel like the AT Pro is the next natural progression before I go minelab. HH!

Upvote 0

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What you can expect is to learn all over. The AT PRO sounds like the 250 in standard mode but I always use mine in PRO mode and the sounds are different. You do have the numerical display that gives you and idea what you have found as far as coins go. You can discriminate most iron out and it has an iron audio that really helps when you get a bottle cap signal. I think you will find that you will increase your finds by more than 100% and the better you get with it the more confidence you gain. You can swing a lil faster but I still swing slow. It's frustrating at first and you wonder why you bought it but once you learn all the little nuances you begin to love it.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what you can expect is more stuff deeper coins and relics:thumbsup:

teleman 2525

Bronze Member
May 9, 2010
newport vermont
Detector(s) used
whites xlt minelab explorer se pro
i,ve got a big dollar minelab explorer it is a great detector but i also have a garett at pro this is just plain a joy to use learn the pro audieo learn the sounds pin pointing mostly dead on then comes those real hot summer days off to the local lakes as its water proof to ten feet nice cool water beats the hot open fields plus the at is better on gold then my minelab fun to find lost rings and things in neck deep water on a hot day no salt water in vermont but lots of streams and lakes ive also get good depth with the at pro when conditions are right after a soaking rain some deep signals don,t give vid,s but if they sound good dig them its often worth the effort ps. my minelab sits alone at home alot not so the at pro great new detector i love it good hunting

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a great upgrade! You will enjoy the deeper targets because of ground balancing and better iron discrimination.I love how those steel bottlecap signals break up so you know not to dig.

Wayne

www.MetalDetectingStuff.com

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used an Ace 250 for probably 7 months before upgrading to the AT Pro. The 250 was a fun machine, but I absolutely love the AT Pro.

With a new detector, there is always a learning curve. Took me a few weeks to really get a feel for the machine. I hunt in Pro mode with no discrimination (maybe some iron disc in real trashy areas). On most common trash pieces and coins, I almost always know what I am digging before I dig it up. Pull tabs and can tabs usually bounce around a bit on the scale, as they are not symmetrical and often have bent or jagged edges. Coins are usually a solid signal (around 53 for nickels, 75 +/- for zinc pennies, 80 +/- for copper pennies, 81/82 for clad dimes, and 86/87 for clad quarters. I found a gold ring that was a solid 47 (foil range). The silver bracelet I found was 66/67. Bottle caps can sometimes be a solid 80 +/-, but you can tell in pinpoint mode if it is a cap or coin. Deepest coin has maybe been 8-10", and that was a 1945 wheat penny at my house that my Ace 250 never found (it was a faint tone on the AT Pro).

Dig everything for a while and you'll learn really fast how the AT Pro reacts to a certain target. That's really the secret to learning any new machine, dig everything have have fun!

eastkydigger.92

Jul 19, 2012
My suggestion is to start out in PRO mode and don't waste you time in standard mode you will learn much quicker! Good Luck and Happy Hunting!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread