ACE 250 user moving to AT PRO

str8flexed

Dec 28, 2013
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO; Garrett Pro Pointer; Bazooka Mini Gold Trap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sold my Ace 250 and have an AT PRO with 5x8 coil coming my way hopefully this week. I hunt mostly coins and jewelry and have been reading alot on using the iron audio when you want to better ID a target before you decide to dig or not. I plan on reading the manual through and through (and only using PRO Mode), but should I go ahead and put the stock coil to the side and just use the 5x8 coils that I've heard so many good reviews on? Any other advice to get me going quicker on it? Been trying to read through as many AT PRO threads as possible before I get the detector in in hopes to get acquainted quicker with it. I assume that the 5x8 coil will pinpoint like my ACE 250's DD coil I had, in that it is a bit harder to pinpoint than the stock concentric coil?

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
but should I go ahead and put the stock coil to the side and just use the 5x8 coils that I've heard so many good reviews on?
Yes! The ONLY time my 8.5x11 will ever go on will be if the 5x8 stops working for whatever reason. And that will ONLY be till the 5x8 can be replaced.

I assume that the 5x8 coil will pinpoint like my ACE 250's DD coil I had, in that it is a bit harder to pinpoint than the stock concentric coil?
The 5x8 PP's great! Do it off the tip or center. (First hole forward of middle)

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mind-blowing target seperation with the 5x8.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 5x8 is an awesome coil but the stock coil works great in the open areas and you can cover more ground. If you get into a tight spot or real trashy spot the 5x8 is a must have for the better separation it has.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It's the one of the reasons I purchased the "Spring Special" because it came with the 5x8" coil! it not only lightens up the the nose on the ATP but is a fantastic coil for target separation!

OP
OP
S

str8flexed

Dec 28, 2013
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the one of the reasons I purchased the "Spring Special" because it came with the 5x8" coil! it not only lightens up the the nose on the ATP but is a fantastic coil for target separation!

Not worried about weight, but the target separation will be nice seeing as I hunt a lot of parks.

Budman231

Sep 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't it true that you will forgo a bit of depth with the 5x8 ?

Bud

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't notice much in my test garden the 5x8 isn't as loud on the 9" dime as the stock coil but you def know it's a good target.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some say they have a hard time pinpointing with the larger stock coil.
Maybe in ultra trashy areas on sketchy targets.

C L A D Z I L L A

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some say they have a hard time pinpointing with the larger stock coil. Maybe in ultra trashy areas on sketchy targets.

My experience has been that it's difficult to pinpoint with the big coil if multiple targets are near the coil.. I tried it a few times thinking I may be able to find deeper targets but quickly took it off.. Not only is it difficult to pinpoint with but it's much chattier with more targets under the coil.. Also the 5X8 is plenty deep, dug a clad dime at 9" last weekend banging 81 on the VDI... Also I would use pro zero with iron notched out to 30.. I dug a war nickel yesterday that I'm sure I missed in pro coin mode because that section was notched out in pro coin mode..

Good luck I think you'll love it keep us posted

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did the war nickle ring in like?

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experience has been that it's difficult to pinpoint with the big coil if multiple targets are near the coil.. I tried it a few times thinking I may be able to find deeper targets but quickly took it off.. Not only is it difficult to pinpoint with but it's much chattier with more targets under the coil.. Also the 5X8 is plenty deep, dug a clad dime at 9" last weekend banging 81 on the VDI... Also I would use pro zero with iron notched out to 30.. I dug a war nickel yesterday that I'm sure I missed in pro coin mode because that section was notched out in pro coin mode..

Good luck I think you'll love it keep us posted

"Multiple targets/chattier" = trashy
In another post you claim the war nickle rang in as a modern nickle which is not notched out on pro coin mode.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the war nickels I've dug rang in higher than a clad nickel.

C L A D Z I L L A

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Multiple targets/chattier" = trashy
In another post you claim the war nickle rang in as a modern nickle which is not notched out on pro coin mode.

Hey clad grabber, I think the nickel rang at 58 in the ground but to be honest I had tunnel vision with limited time to hunt, I had found 2 mercs' here and was looking for that signal. I had been over the area twice since finding those dimes but always in pro coin mode, I read a recommendation on here to use pro zero with iron discrimination at 30 that's when I found the nickel just 3' from where I found the dime. I'm sure my coil had gone over it at least 3×s in coin mode and hadn't chimed over it. But,, I tried it laying on top of the ground when I got home from work and it rang 53.

BTW when I said it rang as a modern nickel I was just trying to imply that I was surprised that it didn't hit high 80s low 90s like the only 3 silver dimes ive found but in the 50s like a clad nickel. I wasn't trying to mess up your life or anything like that lol I hope you find one soon so we can compare notes :)

jreverquest

May 28, 2014
Gastonia, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brothers and sisters,

I noticed Fort Bedford Detectors has a Garrett 4.5" Super Sniper and Scorcher coils, Im no shill for anyone and don't work for anything dealing with detectors, matter of fact Im currently disabled lol so please don't think Im name dropping... Im just telling you what I found and where I found it.... Im very interested in this coil myself for select areas.... They also had a round Garrett 8" Mono coil that looked nice... Im not sure how these coils work with the AT Pro as I haven't even gotten my AT Pro yet lol but I will be making a decision within the week...

JR

OP
OP
S

str8flexed

Dec 28, 2013
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my AT PRO yesterday, took it out in the back yard for a bit to find any nails left in the yard by the construction crew that just finished work on my house and wanted to get any nails I found out of the yard so I don't run over one with the lawn mower or have someone step on one. Didn't find any nails which means they cleaned up good, but got a good solid 55 when hitting a certain area in my yard. Havent dug it yet, but I plan on doing some hunting today at a local park and I'll make sure to dig up the good signal I found in the back yard.

Anyone want to take a guess on the 55 in the yard? I turned iron audio on to see if I could hear any other sounds while passing over the target, and it seems small from what I can hear, but comes through loud and clear.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pull tab or gold ring at 55vdi.
And congrats on your new machine, HH!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

str8flexed

Dec 28, 2013
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ended up being a mangled small piece of aluminum.

Went out with my 9 year old son to a local ball field, were only there about 15 minutes as the ground was riddled with tons of trash and the AT PRO was flipping out and the ground had about as many rocks in it as clods of dirt. I only found 2 pull tabs, but my son and his harbor freight metal detector found a dime and a penny. I finally stopped searching and just watched him, as he kept borrowing my knife to dig with, but he had a great time.

Need to get out alone with the AT PRO in a cleaner area to get more familiar with it.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya get out to a cleaner area and lock in on those solid signals.

OP
OP
S

str8flexed

Dec 28, 2013
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I've searched and cannot find the thread, but there is a thread that someone put up that has common VDI numbers on the AT PRO and what they have found these numbers to be once the item is pulled out of the ground. I know this isnt a "bible" to go by, and I plan on using sound first, but I'd still like to check to guess what the item is that is hit in the ground based off of the VDI number. If anyone can point me to this thread, I would greatly appreciate it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread