Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Re: UPDATE

gallileo60 said:
hollowpointred said:
gallileo60 said:
The Sniper coil kicks ass....It has really improved the ability to work in trashy areas...Alot less falsing also.....I put the bigger one back on, and then took it right back off...The sniper stays on full time now.....

only thing to keep in mind with the sniper is that it will get less depth. i usually only use mine in high trash areas. it really does help in that trash!

Yes you do loose a bit of depth, but im going to get a MXT I beleive, and will leave the bigger coil on it, and the sniper on the Ace...BTW in air test there was about a 1 inch loss of depth...You do have to do a much "tighter scan" with the sniper, and use the cone of the scan area..I reall do not like the coil that came with my Ace...Maybe its just me, maybe its the coil being bad, or maybe its just the way it is made...Dont know...I do notide my Ace falses alot...It is a great detector for the money, but you can tell it really strains to pull depth in soil..Went to one NON WORKED 1920's site, and could tell there was stuff there, but the poor little Ace did'nt have the Testes to get to it...Am dying to hit this site with a "Badder Boy"...I have found a ton of stuff with the Ace including a 1942 quater, and a bunch of wheat, buttons, knobs, and a baggie full of clad...BUT if it says coin, and the depth reads 6 inches, forget it, it aint so...

..I do have the results of air testing on a Ace 300, An Ace 250, and a BH Land Star, all done right, and equal if anyone is interested..I did all types of common coins, and both in All Metal, and Disc...Tom

yeah the ACE does lack a little in the depth department but you know what they say, you get what you pay for. its good for most conditions i would say. yeah, if you have air test results post `em. i would like to see it.

R

robert roy

gallileo60 :

MXT and the ACE 250.....
Thats kinda what I am contemplating. I already have the MXT bought used. An excellent machine. But I took off the 950 coil and put on the 5.3. It gets excellent depth. If I need to, I put the 950 standard coil back on but usually its the 5.3.

I use my ACE250 anywhere I find sporting events and bleachers and also in the parks.

About this noise the original post talked about: I don't seem to have that problem.
My problem with the ACE 250 is getting accurate pin pointing. I think I finally got that licked but its a pain in the ass at times. I'm afraid I'm going to have to invest in a little hand pin pointer. Bounty Hunter has one for $53.00.

Regards

Robert R

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
That´s why I like Red Heats and XP´s, Criss and cross, And then I´ve got !

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
khouse said:
The MXT can't notch. What features are you looking for in the MXT?

I have not gotten to use the MXT, but I like the looks of it, and the bench testing I did seemed pretty good.....Not really sure how much deeper it will go than the Ace 250, but you can ground balance it..I am also looking at the M-6....I want to get a bit deeper, and have a little more dependable target id, all for around 700, or a little less...Any ideas guys??????????

BTW, got a 1918 wheat at the spot I was talking about with the Ace after work today...I almost did'nt dig it, cuz it sounded trashy, sure glad I did...If the Ace just had a little more power.Damn.Cant we hot rod it a little??? Tom

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Put the larger accessory coil on it, goes abit deeper, although pin pointing is apparently slightly harder, so you´de probably have to criss, cross it.

doozis

Jul 31, 2007
Virginia
I have all three coils for my Ace 250 and have gotten used to
the pinpointing for them all. Sometimes with the larger coil
lifting your detector a couple inches off the ground when X'ing
the target helps a lot. Also and maybe more importantly .. get a
hand held pin pointer , I just love mine , it quickly points out those
dirt colored objects that like to disappear when digging. I don't do
beach hunting so super depth is something I'm not sure I want anyhow. With the larger coils I have dug things at nearly a foot and
thats a lot of work for an old man :)

Doozis

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey there.....How does the large coil do for coin hunting....I really like the sniper...Thanks, Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread