Ace 250 with DD. Compared to an ATPro? Target ID worth it?

toughturtle

Apr 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 - DD and Sniper
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone!

I am relatively new to the hobby and have been bit hard by the md bug. I bought an Ace 250 because I wanted to make sure I enjoyed the hobby before breaking the bank. Two days after I got the unit, I ordered a pro pointer. Two weeks later, I ordered the 8.5x11 DD Proformance coil and I have been having a great time and finding great stuff.

I have learned the 250 and the DD coil and am wondering if I am missing anything with the next tier of Garrett machines (ATPro). Specifically the graphical target id of the ATPro. I wonder if having digital conductivity ids (that is what they are, right?) take me to the next level in my hunts? I mainly search a VERY trashy park and I don't know if the target id is what will help me determine the best targets instead of the limited Ace 250 tones. Or is the 250 and the DD just as good as the ATPro? Do these numbered target ids really change my hunting for the better? Do you depend on them too much and lose out on anything? Anyone face this dilemma going from the 250 line? Any and all input welcome!

Thanks! Todd

Upvote 0

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
My personal opinion is that you should not focus on the screen when hunting. Listen for solid sounds that are deep and dig them. Target ID is for targets closer to the surface.
When I first got my XLT, around 12 years ago, I hunted a park near my home. I found a target that was 8-10" deep but the target ID said iron, so I passed on it. I still go back trying to find it, my white whale.

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With the ATPro you have the ability to use Pro audio (pro mode) along with iron audio and the VDI. Does this help compared to the 250, absolutely. That and being waterproof. But it's twice the $. Now do other brands offer VDI and extra bells and whistles, definitely. White's and Minelab come to mind.

So to answer your question. IMO, the ATP or Minelab's, etc. comparable machine is better at distinguishing good targets from bad, but they come at a higher price and require practice . The 250 will find you plenty, but is just that, an entry level MD.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread