Ace sniper coil

pro778

Jan 21, 2008
Forked River, Moorestown, NJ
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 E-TRAC
After hearing all the great stories about how wonderful the sniper coil is I decided to get one. I've only used it a couple of times and I'm ready to get rid of it. Don't get me wrong I love the Ace 250. I have the big coil and use it most of the time. The problem I'm having with the sniper is identifying targets. I'm using it in high trash area's. I get a good penny or dime signal and when I dig it it's a screw cap, pull tab or some kind of junk. Also the signals are jumping all over the place. I'm getting signals jumping from nickle to half dollar and dollar signals, that I never get with the other coils. I never have this problem with the stock coil or the big coil. I'm running the sensitivity around 6 bars. If I cut back to 3 I'm losing the signal at about 3". Any suggestions?

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to be a commonly accepted fact that you lose depth with a small coil, but you gain target separation. The machine is not required to look at as many targets at the same time because it is looking at a smaller group. I would slow down a little on the swing, go slow and see what happens. I am still looking for a bargain on a sniper coil for my Ace 250, so if you decide to kick it off the team, please let me know.

There is also the remote possibility that the coil is bad. Give Garrett a call or send them an email explaining the problems you are having. They have always been great at customer service.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Bob

melvin_it

Nov 22, 2006
South Italy
Detector(s) used
DeLeon; Vaquero; CX II with Treasure Hound; Tracker IV; BH3300; some chinese funny junk as MD1069:)
RJGMC is totally right, to my experience. Slow down, low sens and don't be lookin at the depth...Then Garretts loves caps, you need to pull 'em out. In Italy ain't no modern coins in the range of the screwcaps (7-8 in the CX scale), but I dig 'em everytime: could be a roman coin ;D!

M.

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
The main thing is slow down. If you have spent enough time with the Ace250 you know what a good signal sounds like when you hit it. Even if you just walk through a yard swinging the machine like a sling blade you will know a good target when you catch the edge of it. You know the ones that make you want to find that signal again to investigate it further. Yesterday afternoon I took the sniper coil out for the first test run. I have had it for a couple of weeks and just haven't used it sine I have been using the X-70 that I bought the same time I bought the sniper coil for the Ace250. I went down to my nephew's yard and tested it out there since it has years of trash built up. I put the machine in my own custom setting then I started swinging it overlapping the swings. I got signals left and right but none of them sounded right. Then all of a sudden there was that one signal that said stop! I wiggled the coil over the target and it stuck so I dug it. It was a piece of brass. I worked a bit more of the area and found another good signal. Again when I hit it the thing rang out loud and clear and stuck on the penny mark when I wiggled the coil over it. I hit another good penny signal and dug a penny. I was satisfied with this coil. I can find good targets in trash because I go slow. There was a time that I wanted to cover as much ground as possible in a short amount of time but doing so made me miss ALOT of good targets. To me good targets are the reason I am out there. Slowing down made me maximize my finds greatly. This coil is the same way.... you have to slow down to use it effectively. When you hit that good target signal that you are used to getting with your stock coil then just wiggle the coil over the target. If it's a good target it will stick. Yes pulltabs and screw caps often ring up as good targets, but keep in mind that those could also be good targets just as well.
Work with it more and learn it. I think the sniper coil will help you in the trash.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost always use the sniper coil...If you start getting sigs that are continuously coin sounding and bouncing...most of the time it means on my machine that it is very close to sitting on top the ground or just barely covered. The notch just above the penny and just below the dime is about 70 percent screw on bottle caps...I dig em anyway because that is where the IH usually fall. I am gonna make a suggestion but you might not like the idea..that is, run the ace in all metal....as the others said...go slow...in all metal you will hear everything and most things you don't want to hear...when you get a coin sound..narrow your swing almost to a wobble..you will be surprised how many coins you will find between all the other "junk". Good luck and I wouldn't give up on the sniper quite yet.

rcbob166

Nov 3, 2008
Myrtle Beach, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE150
I don't have the Sniper Coil,,,yet,,,but think I will get one...
The signals you were getting I got the other day ( thing was freaking out! ) with my ACE150 and found it was caused by the lead from the coil was loose, forming large loops and not tight against the steam.
Might be the same prob...just thinkin'

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread