tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This last week we took the grandson to Disneyland. We flew home out of Long Beach and I like to take shots of what's below and try and identify the various landmarks. These are sites across the Mojave Desert. 1st is known as Cima Volcanic Fields. 2nd is the abandoned Coliseum Gold mine. The 3rd is what's called the Ivapah Solar Generation Plant. I've only ever visited the eastern edge of this desert and I'd like to sometime explore more of it. Gotta be some undiscovered treasure down there somewhere.

Attachments

• 20231019_163257.jpg
    20231019_163257.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
  • 20231019_163533.jpg
    20231019_163533.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • 20231019_163641.jpg
    20231019_163641.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like so much fun to explore. Nice photos!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Coliseum Gold Mine is not abandoned Tamrock. It's been mined since 1865 and it's got a lot more years to go. Barrick sold the mine in 2021 to Dateline and they are drilling this month. Resources are ~813,000 oz gold and the drilling is for exploration of a REE body. It's still a very rich deposit. I suspect we will see full scale mining resume in some form at Coliseum within the decade. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Coliseum Gold Mine is not abandoned Tamrock. It's been mined since 1865 and it's got a lot more years to go. Barrick sold the mine in 2021 to Dateline and they are drilling this month. Resources are ~813,000 oz gold and the drilling is for exploration of a REE body. It's still a very rich deposit. I suspect we will see full scale mining resume in some form at Coliseum within the decade. :thumbsup:
Ok, Yeah I was thinking it still had a bunch of environmental issues still left on its plate. It did look as though there's some activity going on.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the same things you do whenever I fly over that country, too. Unfortunately, my old body wouldn't hold up to the rigors of on the ground exploration anymore! Thanks for posting.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i spend allot of time out there, lots of country to still see. the area on both sides of hwy 395 is just full of history
It seems long ago before the internet, I'd pick up the Lost Treasure magazines. In one issue probably in the early 1980s, some guy found at an old mining district in the Mojave a gold ingot that was covered in tar. It was like a 3"x1"x1" slug of gold alloy.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the same things you do whenever I fly over that country, too. Unfortunately, my old body wouldn't hold up to the rigors of on the ground exploration anymore! Thanks for posting.
Yeah age does have a way with ya. My wife has an app on here phone that keeps track of how far you walked. We did over 7 miles of walking for each of the 3 days at Disneyland. I can feel it more than the last time we visited.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i spend allot of time out there, lots of country to still see. the area on both sides of hwy 395 is just full of history

It sure is full of history.. :occasion14:

There's nothing much there anymore, but one favorite spot of mine is Little Lake, which is right off 395 between Olancha and Bradys. There was a cool old hotel there that was a favorite destination of many Hollywood celebs back in the 1920's and 30's.

Not sure if it is still accessible, but there was a dirt road that went off to the East right by the hotel, and went up to the maintenance road for the aqueduct that runs through there. Miles of canyons and rimrock country to explore back in the 80's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread