Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tue, March 15, 2011 1:23:50 PMPLP Action Alert

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Action Alert!

Please get this out to all as soon as possible, short time frame for comment

Thanks
Jerry
Date: Monday, March 14, 2011, 7:13 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2011/...osed-listing-of-mountain-yellow-legged-frogs/

DFG is seeking comments of listing the Mountain Yellow legged frog as an endangered species. If this is listed they could close most of the rivers and streams to dredging and other mining activities. I have attached 2 sample letters. Please do not copy them word for word as they won't count if you do. Comments are due on March 18. and the link above has the address for the comments along with a little background. A good source of information is to google the Mountain yellow-legged frog.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 15, 2011

Mitch Lockhart
Dept of Fish and Game
830 S St
Sacramento,
CA 95811

Re: Proposed listing of Mountain Yellow-legged Frog as an endangered species under the California Endangered Species Act.

These comments are submitted by me as an individual, as a mineral Estate owner, and as a Board member of Public Lands for the People. INC.

The species, Rana sierrae, or the Sierra mountain yellow-legged frog is already a candidate species under the U.S fish and Wildlife. They declined to list the species as endangered.

In the Sierra Nevada, mountain yellow-legged frogs have disappeared from nearly all known low elevation sites on the west slope (4500-9000feet), and are extremely rare east of the Sierra crest and are increasingly uncommon in the most remote alpine habitats along the west side of the Sierra Crest (10,000-12,000 feet). In addition, most remaining mountain yelow-legged frog populations are located in Sequoia, Kings Canyon, and Yosemite National Parks and are very rare in national forests and wilderness areas. (Vrendenberg et al 2007, and Knapp and Matthews 2000a).

“Mountain yellow-legged frogs are adapted to high elevations without aquatic predators. Widespread stocking of non -native trout in high elevation Sierra Lakes by the Dept of Fish and Game has been the Primary cause of the decline for the species.“ This quote is from Knapp from the Center for Biological Diversity. It places most of the blame at the feet of CA DFG. However, it also seems to lay some blame on all other predators of the frog such as otters, bears, and even German browns which eat everything. If All of these are removed, then we would seem to have a rebound of the frog but at what cost to the other species?

Other reasons for the decline of the species seem to be disease and pesticides. Why doesn’t the DFG work with the National Park Service to remove the trout from the parks and get a healthy and thriving population of frogs there and then work on one lake at a time to remove the trout.

Listing the species will not help it recover and I support the no action alternative.

Sincerely,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mitch Lockhart
Dept. of Fish and Game
830 S St
Sacramento, CA. 95811

RE: Mountain Yellow-legged Frog

March 14, 2011

These comments are in response to the proposed listing of the Mountain Yellow-legged frog as an endangered species under the California Endangered Species Act.

All of the scientific data seems to point directly to the DFG as the main culprit in the demise of this species. The DFG’s continued efforts to stock fish in the habitat for the Sierra Mountian yellow-legged Frog is the primary cause of the decline of the species. Unless this practice is stopped immediately and the all of the trout are removed from the lakes, streams and waterways that the frog inhabits, then the species will continue to decline. Listing the species as endangered will do no good.

Pesticides also contribute to the decline of the species by killing them outright or weakening them so they are susceptible to diseases, including a chytrid fungus that recently ravaged many yellow-legged frog populations.

The U.S Fish and Wildlife declined to list the Rana Sierrae as an endangered species, but placed the population on the candidate list. This should be sufficient until the DFG takes the actions necessary to protect the species such as stopping trout stocking, pesticide release, and fisherman from tromping through the shallow waters that the frog lay their eggs in.

I favor the no-action alternative in this action.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
What the hell ....they trying to stop everthing? Just so they can sit and do nothing?
Typical government.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:tongue3: BS alert-they screwed up again and violated the rules of the Administrative law and just more lies about doing us a favor BS--last favor that ferret faced lying dog did was the complete closure to dredging of the entire sacramento river system almost 20 years ago now-bureauratz speak with forked tongue. THE ONLY VIABLE ALTERNATIVE IS THE RETURN OF THE 1994 REGS PERIOD-John

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello to All of You/Us,
I've just returned from a United Prospectors Inc. meeting, Contra Costa County Chapter, the endangered yellow legged frog topic and the dredge ban topic were discussed at this meeting. The Volunteers who presented the information and who have been working on this for some time at their own expense brought forth some scary facts about both of these points. IF ANY OF US HOPE TO BE ABLE TO PROSPECT ANYWHERE IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA WE'D BETTER GET BUSY! And I mean NOW!

Send your input to the fish and game about the spotted frog Endangered Species proposal and tell them that you do not want it! This must be done right now as the 18th is the last day to send in your response. Do it or Loose out!

I am not ordering you to do it but if you do not then please do not complain about what happens to all of us.

The Dredge closure issue: We all need to contact Senator Gaines to tell him we will give him our support. We all need to send in our comments to the DFG and tell them to go back to the 1994 regs. These two are in conflict with each other, I think, but Gaines is our only supporter out there so we need to support him and defeat the DFG and the 12 who are actually behind this bad legislation land grab. Grumbling on this forum without getting involved by writing, phoning or emailing is a waste of time. Action is needed! Now!

I figured that action starts with me so I volunteered to appear at at least two of the nearby DFG hearings to present my thoughts and I donated the nuggets I found last year to help defray the costs involved in our effort to stop this legislation. I'm not tooting my own horn telling you how wonderful I am, I just want you to know that I'm not just full of hot air and asking others to do something while I sit on my buttocks. I've acted and I'm calling out to all of you to do the same! Please get involved!! NO SWEARING, NO YELLING, NO HYSTERIA. Be polite, I know it hurts but be polite.

As a side note about action - part of this evenings discussion was about HOW the Oregon bill was defeated. It was defeated because The Miners got involved and sent or phoned in their opinions! It caught the government off guard as before miners had not gotten involved.

The Group that wants to close off all this land to all of us is using phony information - this was presented at the meeting so if we act in large numbers the truth will be told and when backed up with all of our support we can win this.

I'm in it, some of you have beaten me to it by sending in your comments now ALL of us need to send in our comments about both issues as "United We Stand, Divided We Fall" is still so true!!

63bkpkr.............Herb

Update: I was just on the DFG site and the comment period has been extended due to the fact the their site would not work. This means that if you sent in a comment you must resend your comment before April 1. Also, follow the DFG change notice to get the correct email address {[email protected]}Please, just do it right now. Thank you........UKW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions