Addicted before Ive even started

cerF

May 15, 2008
NorCal
Detector(s) used
XT 705
Addicted before I've even started

Well, i have been lurking in these forums for a few days now and am astounded by the variety and in some cases the rarity of the items you guys have recovered. Sorry for the length of the post.

When i was younger, im 28 now, i was really into snake/lizard hunting, collecting arrowheads, agates, geodes, jade etc. but lost my passion for that stuff and took up surfing full time. I spent my early twenties traveling the world in search of prime surf spots. Ive lived everywhere from Puerto Rico, Hawaii, American Samoa, California, Florida and even a brief stint in Mexico. I also served 4 years in the US Coast Guard which helped facilitate my moves to some of these places. Now im finally settling down and realizing I have no idea what to do with the rest of my life, as far as career, location etc. I decided to move to Northern California to attend my first year of college starting this fall. The water is very cold there and also great white shark infested, so my love for surfing will ultimately be on hold for the 4+ years I plan on living there. With my main hobby/passion unavailable i started thinking of things to keep me entertained (and outdoors) during free time. Gold prospecting came to mind and I started doing a ton of research online about it....which led me here. After extensive research, I found gold prospecting/hunting seemed to be a pretty tedious, costly and unproductive, at least in the particular area I'll be living (Crescent City, CA). I figured beachcombing with a metal detector would be just as entertaining and much more productive. I've also been doing alot of research on that location, as far as historical sites, and cant wait to dig some spots that i have already mapped out.

I wish I had a detector with me in some of the locations I have been throughout life. I can only imagine how much treasure I was obliviously treading on over the years.

I ordered my first detector online last night, deciding on the Ace 250 as my means of attack. I cant wait for the frikkin thing to get to my doorstep. All I have been thinking about is MDing for 3 days AND I HAVENT EVEN STARTED YET. I find myself doing nothing but watching youtube metal detecting videos and reading all of the wonderful posts on the forums here. Hurry up UPS guy... bring me my package!!

If you guys havent seen these vids yet (im sure most of you have), they are really cool. Just search "Treasure Hunting America" on Youtube. I watched all 13 episodes already!

HH
cerF

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Re: Addicted before I've even started

Congrats, cerF, going back to school is never a mistake. Sounds like you've got some good directions in your plans. The Ace 250 will serve you well while you get used to MDing. I have one and love it. Others have different units and love them. Good luck in your new ventures, and don't be a stranger with TNet as far as discoveries and questions go. Best of luck!!! -Noodle

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT

Nice.....from the mt to the beaches CA has it. Check out stewart mine sometimes. :thumbsup:
www.mmmgems.com

OP
OP
cerF

cerF

May 15, 2008
NorCal
Detector(s) used
XT 705

[/quote]
Noodle said:
Congrats, cerF, going back to school is never a mistake. Sounds like you've got some good directions in your plans. The Ace 250 will serve you well while you get used to MDing. I have one and love it. Others have different units and love them. Good luck in your new ventures, and don't be a stranger with TNet as far as discoveries and questions go. Best of luck!!! -Noodle

I will post any and every keeper that i find. Trust me I will not be a stranger. Thanks for the luck noodles.

[/quote]
Rob66 said:
Nice.....from the mt to the beaches CA has it. Check out stewart mine sometimes. :thumbsup:
www.mmmgems.com

I havent even got my detctor yet and you want me to go gem hunting????? LOL Id love to do that, but one step at a time. Hopefully i will find some gems encased in gold in the meantime. :icon_king:

HH
cerF

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros

welcome and best of luck. think you're hooked now? wait till you start getting good hits! my wife has tried to find a rehab program for t.h.ing but no one will touch it. incureable! they all say.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

As already posted, if you think you're hooked now, wait till you make a few good finds. One warning, You will soon discover that anything worth having is worth having two (or more) of. It's very easy to justify another model for your arsenal if your budget will stand it. LOL
Happy hunting and good luck,
Bill

radarwill

Feb 8, 2008
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT

Oh brother, he's got the dry swings.
Stay cool man the next fix is on da way.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Sounds like you got hunting in your blood. You got the first part done....the research!

Welcome and HH.
Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread