Addicted to MDing

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Okay so my wife says I am addicted to my new hobby. I cannot figure out why she thinks this. Is it because my two year old walks around with his plastic shovel swinging it from side to side making beeping noises and then stops and uses the shovel to "dig" his treasure and show it to me. Is it because he runs around asking his daddy where his tector is? Is it because my daughter wants her own machine because daddy won't share his with her? is it because everytime we go somewhere I point out where I want to detect, or maybe because I will walk up to total strangers and ask for permission to detect? How about the fact that I asked my dentists' permission the other day while getting a crown on one of my teeth? What signs (funny and serious) do you think might indicate a problem with addiction to metal detecting?

I just thought this would be a fun post, I hope you agree and will add your thoughts.

Have a great day and may you find soft soil and great treasures!!!

:)

Upvote 0

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
My mother in law was the first to point out that I am addicted. Even when I am sore I still want to go out. The other day when i recovered over 200 coins I got a nasty blister on hand, sore back and shoulders, and felt burnt out. Two days later detector was in trunk, battery was charged, blister healed slightly :D 2 hot baths later.....before you knew it I was out again! ;D ;D what addiction?? ;)

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Out of all the people on this forum only two are MD addicts???? Come on! (oops me that makes 3)

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two pairs of rechargeable batteries and a spare pack of three pairs. Yeah, I'm really starting to get annoyed by my girlfriend making fun of me by acting like she's holding an imaginary detector and "beeping" a whole lot?! She even did it in front of her dad the other day... way to make me look good. But at least he took my back and told her stop pestering me for no reason. lol I'm surprised I can live a normal life as much as I'm daydreaming of treasure... heck, I just got a Lifetime Detecting pass for a historical site today... and also finished the final coats of rubber over my 250lb retrieving pull magnet that I intend on using around a fishing pier. I think that I should name it my "Treasure Collector"!!! All of this within 1 week of being home in Florida. This is gonna be a GREAT Summer!!!! lol ;D

Bran <><

P.S. My laptop has so much treasure files and website links saved onto it, I think I can start another THing website! lol Yes, I am addicted.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I think everyone around me knew I had embraced an even more addictive hobby (MD'ing) when it not only keeps me digging non-stop for hours without taking pause to smoke a cigarette (Addiction), but has also kept me and the fishing rod on dry soil with no recent Largemouth Bass hook-ups (Also an addiction).

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
ADDICTED! Never!
I catch so much cr@p at home and work until I point out their addictive
hobbies...golfing. They then become rather quiet and walk away. ;D

OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
godisnum1 said:
I have two pairs of rechargeable batteries and a spare pack of three pairs. Yeah, I'm really starting to get annoyed by my girlfriend making fun of me by acting like she's holding an imaginary detector and "beeping" a whole lot?! She even did it in front of her dad the other day... way to make me look good. But at least he took my back and told her stop pestering me for no reason. lol I'm surprised I can live a normal life as much as I'm daydreaming of treasure... heck, I just got a Lifetime Detecting pass for a historical site today... and also finished the final coats of rubber over my 250lb retrieving pull magnet that I intend on using around a fishing pier. I think that I should name it my "Treasure Collector"!!! All of this within 1 week of being home in Florida. This is gonna be a GREAT Summer!!!! lol ;D

Bran <><

P.S. My laptop has so much treasure files and website links saved onto it, I think I can start another THing website! lol Yes, I am addicted.

Ooh that is a good one, my comptuer has around 40 favorites on the list and only two are for non-detector related links!!

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a pic of just my links... I have them categorized, which each section probably having anywhere between 10 to 20 links on that area of interest. There's a ton of other articles that I first save an electronic hard copy, then I just print out and place into laminated sheets in my THing binder. Then there's all my electronic files (i.e. stories, maps, specific locations, etc.)... I need to go through and better categorize all of them I think. ::)

Bran <><

Attachments

• Treasure Links.JPG
    Treasure Links.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 208

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I'll dig just one more target and I'll go home....

Just one more coin and I'll go home...

I'll go home when I can get someone to help me up!!!

Yes I am definately addicted.

keithinvestigations

Mar 21, 2007
Ellisville, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LE
I've had a bad case of this lately. For the past month, I take off during the week, Thurs, Fri, Sat & Sun I hit it as hard as I can. Monday rolls around and I have a MDing hang over! I never knew it would get this bad when I started.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just because I ride down the road and point the play grounds out to my wife, even though we have no kids, or write down the addresses of recently tore up sidewalks on the way to church with wife, doesn't mean I'm addicted.

Meeting some one for the first time and instead of looking them in the eye as your shaking their hand your checking out their jewelry and thinking, it would sure be nice to find that ring, now that might be a symptom.

sandrailer

Dec 28, 2006
Durand, Mi.USA
Detector(s) used
fisher coinstrike
When i first got into the hobby the wife made fun of me all the time but after a few trips out she told me to get her a MD.Now she says when we going out and where?She is worse than me! I cant complain because now i get to enjoy my hobby more than i would if she wasn't into it as much as i am.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
My youngest Brother in law's birthday was last Thursday. Gave him a new detector and got the nastiest look from his wife. LOL

But the look on his face was pure joy. Maybe it won't be too long before another TNer finds this forum and benefits from all the knowledge provided, along with friendships and fellowships, arguments, and just plain good times.

How can someone not get addicted.

Old Dog

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread