Adding a bigger coil question...

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
You might get a much better detector on the used market for around $100. That is what I would suggest if you can afford it. Best wishes, George (MN)

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Monster coils don't usually work very well on machines which are tuned for quick response. Broader sweep but little or no depth improvement.

There is an 11 inch elliptical DD available for the 1100 that works fairly well but may take a little getting used to since its responses are somewhat different. I don't know for sure what it costs, but probably more than $100.

No matter how much you spend on searchcoils for a 1100, it's still a 1100. So I agree with George, it's probably best to let the 1100 be what it already is, and if you want to upgrade, spending the money on a higher performance machine probably makes more sense than spending it on a searchcoil.

George suggested buying used to save money, but if you're a newbie there's a lot of risk in buying used. You could easily unwittingly buy a machine with problems, or get a machine that works right but is a lousy machine for the money.

When it comes to machines we manufacture, the ones I usually recommend as "upgrades" from the lowest cost units are the Fisher F2 (typically about $200) and the Tek Delta (typically about $250). We have other good machines in this price range, but in my opinion these two represent the best value for the buck. Between the two, I prefer the Delta not because it costs more (I'm not on commission, and I love good cheapies as much as good high end units), but because it is so good in its price range that it's becoming a favorite backup unit for beeperists who swing expensive machines.

Just in case you didn't know: Bounty Hunter and related private labels, Teknetics, and Fisher trademark metal detectors are different product lines made by the same company right here in El Paso, Texas.

--Dave J.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread