Adena digs...........

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Put in a whole weekend to digging. Started out Sat. morning with no luck, came home for lunch and headed back out. Didn't find anything. Went back today because I'm gluten for punishment and put in several good hours. Looks like I had a bobcat in there. This is what I ended up with for all my exuastion.......4 pcs adena pottery + 1 thicker pc pottery thicker and different temper...pictured top row................In the middle another minuture hematite celt...found one a week or so ago...a little busted up but I'll take it...to the right of that just a pc of clam shell..and a burnt pc of wood..below that an adena waubesa base and a black scraper and a midsection...on the left the red flake/burin tip to right of that a pc with some smoothing and abrasion I (think) may be pipestone then below that yet another scraper. Also Bone pc with mouse bites around complete outer edge of pc. ... Still have a bunch of stuff in pack to go through yet ....probably a few more good scrapers in there. Scan doesn't show the scrapers too well in these pictures they have some good edge use and the one little flake on bottom right has a nice beveled edge. the pictures below reversed sides.

img006.jpg img007.jpg

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to stick with it! Some serious graver spurs on a couple of those scrapers. Nice hematite piece too.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty cool. Were you sifting? What did they temper their pottery with? I hope to dig an open air site this week. Kinda muddy though.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like that is some very old fiber tempered pottery. Older than sand. I think I see marks left where the fiber burned away.

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know very much about adena pottery I seldom find it. Most pcs I have found have been tempered with clam shells, the pc that you may think is fiber tempered may only look like that from the striations you see on the outside but that is finishing marks (i think) from a broom like tool? the other thicker pc is tempered with fine gravel....Ive never found any like these two kinds before its always shell temper....Like i said I know very little about pottery I read some years back a little but nothing sunk in but I wish I found enough of it to do more research and learn to identify different tempers because as I understand it could help in pinpointing a more acurate date or horizon etc within a culture.

No TN I don't have the patience to sift...:laughing7:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol digging like a beaver. They crushed up lime stone also to temper that stuff. I find both types. Never find pottery though in my fields. Too old.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The small pinholes in that piece is what looked like places fibers were. I find.. fiber tempered.. fiber shell mix..shell..sand..limestone..and even broken pottery tempered.

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Alls i know is its pottery :dontknow: :laughing7:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That it is.. nice find in tough conditions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread