Adjustable flare for a sluice

Would you be interested in using this design?

• yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

seclymer

Greenie
Jan 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all,
I created a prototype out of steel sheet metal, but my final design will be aluminum. My idea was to make a flare with hinged walls so that you can control the amount of water going into the sluice by changing the angle of the flare walls. Please give me feedback on this design. Would you be interested in a flare like this?

Many thanks,
Sam

20160302_122747.jpg
20160302_122723.jpg

Last edited:

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Totally interested! What is the width at the sluice entrance?

OP
OP
S

seclymer

Greenie
Jan 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
PurpleGold, the flare is approximately 12 inches long, with an 18 inch opening (at its widest) that tapers down to 10 inches at the end. The opening can be reduced to as little as 2 inches wide. The 4 inch walls are held in place by paper clamps which are plenty strong enough to keep the flare in position. Thank you for the feedback!

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In thinking critically about this I can potentially see an issue where the adjustable vertical flares might not seal completely with the bottom creating an escape route for flour gold. Are the vertical flares sealed to the bottom when adjusted in any position? What is the total weight of the assembly? Are you thinking about another material for final build?

OP
OP
S

seclymer

Greenie
Jan 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes that was the main factor in creating the design. I wanted to ensure that no water or gold could escape. The foam completely seals off the area underneath the walls. I tested it and no water leaked through the flare at any points. The current design is steel (the only material I had) but I plan to make the final design out of aluminum.

rivets

Jan 31, 2016
where I am
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad to have helped :wave:

Posted Feb 10 2016

"Scissor Flare" love it :thumbsup: could be made easily ... three interlocking parts and a few rivets ... u need help with design let me know ...

ps: If you like the name "Scissor Flare" its yours as well :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

seclymer

Greenie
Jan 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you! What do you think of the design?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions