Advanced CRH Techniques and Advice - Thoughts?

Virgil

Sep 25, 2012
Georgia (And that's as specific as it's gonna get!
Detector(s) used
Eyes and hands, mainly. Sometimes I whip out the ol' sniffer...
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey all, forum newbie here, but I hope not with a newbie CRH question ;) I was hoping to pick some brains here and ask if anyone could perhaps share some 'advanced CRH techniques', for lack of a better term. You see, I feel like I've got the CRH basics down pat pretty well - I figured out a lot on my own when I first started about 7 months ago, which coincidentally is when I hit my first really good finds of silver. The very first half dollar roll I ever searched through had a '64 Kennedy ender - hell, that was the first coin I saw! I kid you not.

So... yeah, I got mad spoiled right off the bat, heh :p Ever since then, though, I've been trying to recapture that initial glory, but it's been rough going. I read the beginner's guide here on the forum, as well as that new CRH book specifically about silver hunting, and I found I pretty much know the lion's share of what's in 'em already :( I've seen some things on the forum here that leads me to believe there's more to CRH then I've learned and read, so... yeah, I'd love to get some advice, if possible :) I am putty in your collective hands, my friends ;) So far, I've focused on (legally) emptying local bank vaults of their stashes of halves, as well as a 'CWB' (customer-wrapped bag) of Ikes at one establishment. I've exhausted my area, so I'm starting to travel a bit to raid new areas, such is my lust for that beautiful white metal.

Unfortunately, I've run into a lot of 'sloppy seconds' (my personal term for pre-searched dumps) by doing this, as some of you may have guessed. I figured they are dumps because many of the rolls have been marked in some fashion, but I search 'em anyways, just in case. I'm definitely not averaging enough silver to even start to cover any part of my expenses for these little excursions, so I really should stop if they keep turning up squat (or nearly so). I'm thinking of starting to order boxes, as my dump bank is super-friendly and are glad to do it, but I ordered one a little while back and got skunked, so now I'm curious as to where there supply comes from, because I'm not the only person who dumps in that particular area - someone else cleaned the area out before I got there, according to the tellers of the various banks. It's why I dump there.

Anyways, I really need to start working smarter as opposed to harder, so any help you folks can provide would be swell. I'm normally a pretty lazy person, but this is one thing in my life I really get pumped about. My girlfriend says I put so much effort into it, that I figure I need to try and at least improve my returns, if not maximize them, right? Anyways, thanks in advance for the help guys - I appreciate it!

Upvote 0

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do 50 boxes a week and you will find silver!!

Senor

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My girlfriend says I put so much effort into it, that I figure I need to try and at least improve my returns, if not maximize them, right? Anyways, thanks in advance for the help guys - I appreciate it!

You have a girlfriend ... now you're just bragging.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no advanced technique w/ CRHing... This question reminds me of the overweight people who come into my pharmacy asking for a magical weight loss pill. "I have a reunion in a couple weeks and i want to lose some weight,"they say. I then ask them,"How long did it take you to gain that weight? A couple weeks? Then how can you expect to lose it that fast?" It takes time & effort (dietary discipline/exercise) to lose weight. You reap what you sow. TimZim is on the right track here... You just have to roll up your sleeves and search. A lot of it is being in the right place at the right time. Or getting a lucky box. Increasing your volume increases those odds. Increase your bankroll so you can search more. You may have to sell some finds to do so. Get on the phone & call every bank in your area & ask for halves. Do it once a week.

OP
OP
Virgil

Virgil

Sep 25, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You have a girlfriend ... now you're just bragging.

When it comes to her, you bet :) She's awesome. Seriously, anybody who deals with the volume of crap that comes out of my mouth on a daily basis and can even stand to be around me, much less love me, blows my mind, lol. I'm pretty sure it's because she's awesome, anyways, as opposed to oblivious or masochistic...

OP
OP
Virgil

Virgil

Sep 25, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
There is no advanced technique w/ CRHing... This question reminds me of the overweight people who come into my pharmacy asking for a magical weight loss pill. "I have a reunion in a couple weeks and i want to lose some weight,"they say. I then ask them,"How long did it take you to gain that weight? A couple weeks? Then how can you expect to lose it that fast?" It takes time & effort (dietary discipline/exercise) to lose weight. You reap what you sow. TimZim is on the right track here... You just have to roll up your sleeves and search. A lot of it is being in the right place at the right time. Or getting a lucky box. Increasing your volume increases those odds. Increase your bankroll so you can search more. You may have to sell some finds to do so. Get on the phone & call every bank in your area & ask for halves. Do it once a week.

All good advice - thank you! I know volume is one of my issues, one which I need to address. I search out large quantities when I call around, around a box-worth, so I'm guessing I need to just pony up and start doing more ordered boxes, then. One thing I kind of take issue with, though, is the frequency you're saying to call. I might do once a month, maybe, but once a week sounds too frequent for me. Not that I don't want to, but I feel the pickings wouldn't be enough to justify a drive in to town (I live in the sticks, a bit). Perhaps more importantly, I'm thinking once a week might wear out my welcome at a lot of these banks. I take the 'You get more flies with honey than vinegar' approach many times in life, and I feel like it's worth waiting a bit between calls so I don't piss folks off (however unwarranted their anger might be). I'm not about to open 20 accounts or anything, so it's not like I can demand anything, so I figure I need to keep some goodwill with folks. Although there is that Suntrust that won't sell to me no matter what - maybe I'll go Eminem on 'em, hehe >:D

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Virgil, first off welcome to TNet. Go back through the archived pages and read. Just when you think you read it all, read some more. When you get back into the days when LJ was posting, slow down and read it all. There are some excellent tips and sage advice to be learned. Now, despite what you said about "cleaning the area out" - you didn't. There is always more. The silver is always being replenished. You say you don't want to wear out your welcome. Well, you can be darn sure your competition doesn't have a problem with it.

Volume and persistence is the key. It isn't easy.

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you after silver, or are you in it for the hunt?

Tell your GF, yes - you do spend too much time searching for silver. tell her you maybe should find a GF that works at a bank... (J/K!)
Go to vistaprint dot com and get cheap business cards printed up with an advert about your silver habit, offering to purchase 'junk' silver.
Volunteer to be the treasurer for a little league or BSA or something.
Buy or work for a vending machine company
Set out donation receptacles across your town supporting abandoned pets
Volunteer for the salvation army around the holidays

Or, hand your business cards to everyone who works in the capacity as I previously mentioned.

Think outside the box on methods of searching other peoples pockets and change bottles... :)

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Virgil. Welcome. You came to the right place to learn about advanced crh techniques. You see Virgil, to get to the really advanced levels of crh is similar to advancing in the well known religion, Scientology. In order for people to advance in Scientology, they must pay a fee for study materials. In other words, you have to pay up, to get anywhere. It's the same for crh. So if you really want to learn the advanced crh techniques, send me $5000 and I will send you your study materials. If you are not ready to make this commitment then all I could tell you is be patient, keep searching a mix of boxes and cwr and be consistent about it. Over time, you will score and end up with a nice stash. HH
Merc

OP
OP
Virgil

Virgil

Sep 25, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Virgil. Welcome. You came to the right place to learn about advanced crh techniques. You see Virgil, to get to the really advanced levels of crh is similar to advancing in the well known religion, Scientology. In order for people to advance in Scientology, they must pay a fee for study materials. In other words, you have to pay up, to get anywhere. It's the same for crh. So if you really want to learn the advanced crh techniques, send me $5000 and I will send you your study materials. If you are not ready to make this commitment then all I could tell you is be patient, keep searching a mix of boxes and cwr and be consistent about it. Over time, you will score and end up with a nice stash. HH
Merc

Screw persistence. Do you take Monopoly money?

Lol, seriously, thanks for all the advice, guys :) I'm actually about to go pick up my first coin counter bag of halves from a local bank - the lady said they hadn't all been dumped in large quantities, that they'd accumulated over half a year or so, so I'm hopeful :) I'll tell you guys how I make out - stay tuned ;)

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
If you order boxes, do it from a bank different than your dump bank, or make your dump bank your pickup bank, and move your dump bank to a different bank.

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Establish a territory and technique for picking up and dumping coin in that territory. Weave in and out of pick up and drop off banks around your territory's radius, and don't keep picking up from the same place frequently (for customer wrapped coins, that is). Make some cold calls to banks you don't frequent too often and ask if they have any of the coin you are seeking. Order your halves from several banks, and don't bite off more than you can chew. Be friendly to tellers, and don't lie about your intentions if asked. Like timzim says, it's all about the volume. Skunks are just part of the game, so expect them from time to time. Also, ask for customer rolled coins, and buy them all when they have them. Additionally, if the teller is friendly, ask if they might be willing to call you when certain denominations of coins come in (ie deposited half dollar coins). Dime and half dollars are your best friends. I hope this is helpful, but welcome to you!

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Volunteer to be the treasurer for a little league or BSA or something....

Nope, they actually don't handle coinage much, cash credit or check on popcorn sales. I'm a leader myself, already checked that hole. :(

As far as finding more more silver it depends on if you got the cap to buy. Locally I print out flyers i give to gas stations, 7-11s etc offering 80% of spot for silver coinage. It still much cheaper than at my LCS but I dont have to do the searching.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Virgil said:
When it comes to her, you bet :) She's awesome. Seriously, anybody who deals with the volume of crap that comes out of my mouth on a daily basis and can even stand to be around me, much less love me, blows my mind, lol. I'm pretty sure it's because she's awesome, anyways, as opposed to oblivious or masochistic...

She is probably after your silver! Jk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread