Adventures at TD Bank

dannybolt

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2012
FLA
Primary Interest:
Other
This might be useful anecdotal evidence, or it might be useless to you; but the following is my recent dealings with TD bank.

A couple of weeks ago I setup an account at a TD bank, so I could dump my coins without paying a bag fee to Regions, or rolling boxes of coins and making small dumps around town, which takes forever. I'm not a high volume sorter (F/T student and P/T job), so I wind up dumping coins every week or so, and not enough to make a nuisance of myself.

Last week I had dumped a pile of dimes, and brought my receipt to the counter. As usual, I was getting cash back. I asked about halves, and the teller said they had some in the back. Excellent, I'll take them. The head teller looks up and says they've already been sorted for silver. I looked quizzical, and the head teller said they had an "annoying guy" who would bring in boxes of half dollars and dump them in the coin counter. They started charging him, because that's not what the coin counter is for (although that is basically what I'm using it for). Now the guy brings his rolls in a few at a time and deposits. I figured I wasn't the only CRHer in my area, as I've run across marked halves plenty of times in CWRs from different banks. Good to have confirmation. Also good to know not to make a nuisance, and I can continue to use the coin machine.

The last time I used the coin counter, the clerk showed me where the magnet was, in case any of my coins get stuck. This time when I checked it there was a bunch of canadian stuck to it, along with 3 1943 steel pennies, and a 1956 Wheat. Score! I brought them to the teller, along with my receipt for deposit and asked about what they do with the stuff that gets stuck to the magnet. He told me they just bag them and send them off, but I could keep what I brought with me to the counter. Very cool. I wound up with a wheat and 3 steel pennies, just from dropping off half a box of quarters.

I'm going to have to be careful of the head teller, although if I spread my dumping out, and make deposits instead of taking cash, I should be OK. I don't want to get stuck paying for bags.

Upvote 0

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always try to get in and out as quickly and quietly as possible, just like a ninja.

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I always try to remain under the radar. Try to spread out my dumps so as not to fill up too many bags, try to be in and out as quick as possible and not ask for anything other than my cash back and maybe some halves.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tellers are all so different. Some are very friendly and dont seem to care a bit about what we do, others despise us greatly no matter the volume. If you go into a bank regularly, and there is a teller looking to be annoyed by something, you will be the "annoying guy." Just a fact of life.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread