Advertising campaign for dredging

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
I made a mention of this in the last thread. As dredging season would be starting up in a couple weeks, an advertising campaign for gold dredging in Ca. would be good timing. As businesses are leaving the state in droves, it is creating a snowball effect and we have many on the unemployment roles that are using up their benefits and being counted as employed after their benefits have expired. I would rather spend $35 on a TV spot than to lawyers explaining the benefits of gold dredging and opportunities for the average person and that the environment has nothing to do with this pursuit. Using those of you as average people that have claims and the years of experience finding gold and it's positive results. Target areas would be Sacramento, L.A., San Francisco, San Diego, and Redding. Without advertising, spending money on lawyers is a waste if we can't get the public behind us. Ideas from all to get this going. I believe we are in the drivers seat.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
I am going to contact the local stations in Sacramento to find out the cost of a 30 second spot or one minute. It would centered around 6pm. as most are home and relaxing. There are last count 3600 permits that were purchased in 2009 and many more that prospect. At $35 that is around $100,000 which should more than pay for an ad, but I will find out and get back.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is a great plan, however you will be dealing with the mainstream media who are not interested , especially in California, in airing anything they don't agree with or doesn't fit thier rose colored glass world. I wish you luck but in very liberal Cal. don't get your hopes up. They may even charge you triple and then edit the crap out of it to do harm rather than air what you made. In a more conservative state or even one in the center you would have a better chance. I wish you all the luck, you're going to need it.

OP
OP
A

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
$500 for :30 spot, $1000 for :60. for the remainder of the second quarter on CBS 13. I believe they are more in tune with the legalities and are in no ones camp. KCRA is very green oriented as well as KXTV which no one watches.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I do believe that if you pay for advertising time on T.V. that as long as the spot meets all FCC guidelines (no profanity, nudity etc) a station is required to run it. They are not allowed to change it to suit their own needs without having the spot approved by the person(s) paying for the air time. To do so would be a major breach of contract and leave them open for legal actions against them. On the other hand, that wouldn't stop them from cutting it off half way through the run time. They could then reschedule it to run at a different time.

Like anything else we as prospectors and miners have to face now days, DO YOUR HOME WORK!!!!! I'd hate to see you spend all the time and money only to have it turn out to be a waste of your time or to be garbled into sending the wrong message to the public.

EDIT: Just a thought here... If you could show how dredging actually improves fish habitat I really think you'd have a winner for our side. Before shots showing compacted gravels and after shots showing improved spawning sites thanks to dredging.

Last edited:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do believe that if you pay for advertising time on T.V. that as long as the spot meets all FCC guidelines (no profanity, nudity etc) a station is required to run it. They are not allowed to change it to suit their own needs without having the spot approved by the person(s) paying for the air time. To do so would be a major breach of contract and leave them open for legal actions against them. On the other hand, that wouldn't stop them from cutting it off half way through the run time. They could then reschedule it to run at a different time.

Like anything else we as prospectors and miners have to face now days, DO YOUR HOME WORK!!!!! I'd hate to see you spend all the time and money only to have it turn out to be a waste of your time or to be garbled into sending the wrong message to the public.

EDIT: Just a thought here... If you could show how dredging actually improves fish habitat I really think you'd have a winner for our side. Before shots showing compacted gravels and after shots showing improved spawning sites thanks to dredging.

It would certainly be worth a try, since 4 years of same ol, same ol has gotten practically nowhere. To elaborate, ...improving fish habitat..., there is a very
important concept that greenies have embraced. B.A.T. (Best Available Technology) - this is a slam dunk if professional PR people are put in charge. Just
think about wordsmiths doing ad spots - "Streambed Restoration", "Low-cost to Free Toxic Mercury Removal" "Free Toxic Lead Removal", Creating Refugia for
Migrating Sport Fish", etc. The list goes on. The challenge is to scrape up enough cash to do it right. I'll end my rant with a question - what large corp. is
just waiting to latch on to a "green cause" that would fund this project ? Waste Management - Jeep - Barrick Gold Corp. - Sierra Pacific Industries - Landrover -
Dodge dealers of Calif - Monsanto - NRA ? the field is endless.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Dredging has a negative conotation from the old bucket lines, I perfer underwater suction mining and stream restoration:laughing7:

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I contacted the GPAA once about there Buzzard comercials they were running on the Outdoor Channel because I thought they were good enough to be on a channel that someone other than hunters & fisherman watched. The response was "your right" but it costs to much money. If anyone has the money to make it work I believe they do, piss poor excuse if you ask me.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google Ads, banner ads
have an info web site if people click through
you'd have to pick the right key words,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread