advice BEFORE we start

redqueen

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, :hello:
I live in southeast Idaho, and am interested in metal detecting. Hubby & I were talking to a good friend yesterday, who also said he was, and that it might be a good idea if we pool our funds and buy something together, so we could get something of a little higher quality. We are all pretty easily amused, and probably would want to use a metal detector to find a variety of things, and wonder if people have advice of what to look for and think of in a detector. I'm figuring Idaho's gem and mineral rich soils might influence how a detector responds. We would probably use it around old mine sites & abandoned buildings in rural areas, but there is also an old gold mine nearby, and people pan the creek below it. Plus, towns were destroyed in filling reservoirs, and the closest one to us actually has the oregon trail disappear under it. In dry years that can be nearly drained, providing a lot of mudflats. So, it would have to be able to get wet, but not necessarily submerged. There are also a lot of Molybdenum mines in the area, and we produce a lot of phosphate for the fertilizer industry. We are not too far from Salt Lake, and might want to try some of that shoreline in dry times. So, the question is for you who have been doing this for a while, what should we consider or not consider in getting a first model, probably maxing out at $500 to see if we really do like it enough to keep up with it...

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Sounds like you're not including the potential for turf hunting or nugget hunting. Ie.: sounds like you're going to be around ghost-townsy ruinsy type sites. In that case, consider a 2-filter, like a silver Sabre (any of various Tesoros), or a classic II or III, etc.... They're good in and around iron.

OP
OP
R

redqueen

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
probably. at least for now. I think while we would all love to find a nugget or 2, we're really more intrigued by junk people left behind. even if it is junk. thanks.

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the hobby. Anything from a Harbor Freight on up in price to your limit will function. Being "new" I would buy on the lower price end. Learning your machine finding "junk" is much more important than brand. All machines that function properly will find what you search for. Happy digging.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi, :hello:
I live in southeast Idaho, and am interested in metal detecting. Hubby & I were talking to a good friend yesterday, who also said he was, and that it might be a good idea if we pool our funds and buy something together, ..[/QUOTE..Well to pool your funds so that means there will be 3 or 4 people that want to use the same detector.. Sounds like a bad idea to me .. To me that sounds like it will not be long before your friendship is over… You both should buy your own detector .. Why don't you both just buy a top brand detector in the lower price range to start out .. … Garrett , Whites , Fisher . Minelab Teknetics … .All detectors do the same thing find metal…. I know ones that started out with the lower price range detector's and liked them so much never did go to bell's & Whistles…………………. The more you pay all you get is more bells & whistles that mean nothing..

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tesoro Tejon is one of the best relic detectors around... You will not outgrow it... It can find small nuggets...bought used, you can sell it for what u payed... Bought new it has a lifetime warranty... Some may say it is too much detector for a beginner... Not so if you are happy to find junk, it will do that very well even for a beginner, but once you have a pile of horse harness and horse shoes you may want to find some old coins, or someone asks u to look for a wedding band that was lost 10 years ago...

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705; Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've got a lot of people on this forum who have a lot of experience & have made a lot of posts that are very beneficial. I'd recommend going to the "Brands" section of the Metal Detecting forum & see what others have experienced with the detectors they have purchased. In regards to "sharing" a detector, would you go to a dance with your spouse and be willing to let them dance 3 out of 4 dances with other people while you stood by and watched? Your detector becomes a very personal item to some. Good luck on your quest for YOUR perfect machine.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes but if you go to the brands section all you get is… The detector i use is the best ..What ever detector ones like is the one they always hype up… So you really do not get any real info..

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you all should go try out detectors, see what ones you like, what they do how they handle & sound like, etc. A test drive if you will. Ask lots questions tell them your price range, and where and what you will be looking for.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes but if you go to the brands section all you get is… The detector i use is the best ..What ever detector ones like is the one they always hype up… So you really do not get any real info..
ok, so are we to take the advice of someone who has never used the detector? If u have used one at least you can have an opinion based on more than hearsay... As long as someone is not trying to sell a detector and has used it, I value that opinion!

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the brands section.... read the post... does anyone have a detector they don't like, it can be eye opening.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
ok, so are we to take the advice of someone who has never used the detector? If u have used one at least you can have an opinion based on more than hearsay... As long as someone is not trying to sell a detector and has used it, I value that opinion!
.. Every one talk's up there own brand so that get's confusing.To new detector users .. I have been in this for over 40 years and it they confuse me at times with there hype on there brand..

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I personally think you would do well with the Garrett AT Pro Sport Pack "Spring Special" from bigboyhobbies.com. It comes with 2 coils (large and small) with coil covers and a finds bag!
The smaller coil works awesome in trashy parks or beaches!
Also there are plenty of youtube videos showing the use of the AT Pro! It's waterproof to 10 feet and very versatile! The AT Pro is easy to use out of the box and as you advance in experience you won't outgrow it!
Should you decide to sell it you will get top dollar for it due to it's popularity!
Best of luck in your choice of a new detector!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread