Advice for Travelling Abroad?

Trapper John

Dec 29, 2014
St Helens, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Given the nature of all things related to international travel, does anyone have any experience and advice regarding taking a detector on an airplane and using it in Mexico? I'm going to Los Cabos in April and just starting my research on what to do and not to do while there.

Upvote 0

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't. That's my advise . But that's just me. LOL

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..........say you're from Canada, aboot three miles North of the Molson's Brewery...eh hoser?

Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Trapper John

Dec 29, 2014
St Helens, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
..........say you're from Canada, aboot three miles North of the Molson's Brewery...eh hoser?

Mike

Oh, YOU take off you hosehead and Good Day, eh? I don't think there's much old time hockey in Mexico.

OP
OP
T

Trapper John

Dec 29, 2014
St Helens, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the advice, Mike. I think I'll take it. I hate all things airplane and going through security and having to set up, demonstrate, explain, and take down equipment is not likely to happen. Plus, I do not plan to lose my gear (or head) to some cartel guy who thinks I am worth a ransom squeeze. My family would just laugh and laugh if any of that happened.

I did check out your website and found it to be very informative and entertaining. In my younger days and before I started detecting I loved wandering around in Eastern Oregon's desert. Then I was rock hounding, now I still plan on getting out there with my ham radio gear and AT Pro.

Good wandering and hunting!

Last edited:

XtreasureX

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Sonora, Mexico. I can assure you no one will care if you have a metal detector. I can assure you that no cartel member (they are called 'sicarios') will care if you have a metal detector. What happened that we have become so afraid? We are treasure hunters, we go to scary places and find treasure. I have never wanted to trade my freedom for security. It is sad.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in Sonora, Mexico. I can assure you no one will care if you have a metal detector. I can assure you that no cartel member (they are called 'sicarios') will care if you have a metal detector. What happened that we have become so afraid? We are treasure hunters, we go to scary places and find treasure. I have never wanted to trade my freedom for security. It is sad.

For many the fear of mexico does not come from cartels or of the mexican people,it comes from the mexican govt.Perhaps one of the worlds most corrupt organizations.And by govt. I mean many branches of govt.employees.
I was jailed on a surf trip to baja for littering the beach.The,"litter"was a plastic trash bag tied to my bumper and half filled with existing trash(obviously old)from the area we were legally camping.
Two days later I was released when they were finally convinced I had no means to pay them a $500.00 fine.Lovely.Too many stories of u.s.citizens held captive for lame reasons.Too many vehicles and other property ending up in the hands of police officials and local politicians.
I'm never going to spend another dime in mexico,my personal pay back.Too bad too.I used to love baja and the people there.

Last edited:

XtreasureX

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigfoot. Agreed, the cops are a corrupt bunch. I have paid "la mordida". As i thought about your comment I realized that the area I live and "work" is unusual. The strong presence of the cartel in my area scares the police away. They want nothing to do with cartel activity. I regularly see soldiers on the back roads. Soldiers, as far as I am aware, are less corrupt. They have the hyper-vigilant, fingers-on-triggers, heads-on-swivels kind of look to them. Passing a humvee full of these guys on narrow trails is like drinking a tall cup of strong coffee in one gulp. I imagine they are just as nervous as I am. I know who they are, but they don't know who I am.

I guess the irony of all of this is that the cartel can provide a sense of security and justice that the government can't. Honor among thieves??!!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I have traveled internationally extensively for the past 15 years.

I've had my electronics confiscated under the claim that I may try to sell them while in country. I'm allowed to get them back from Customs at the airport on my way back out of the country. After of course, payment of a storage fee.

The electronics (ham radio, metal detector, GPS and the like) can be brought in if I choose to pay an 'Expediting Fee', which varies from place to place.

Simply being an American, it's assumed that I possess untold wealth and resources.

Be prepared to pay expediting fees, or individual custom entry fees and you can bring your electronics in. Don't call it a bribe- funny, but they don't like that word, because they are charging a fee which is different than a bribe. If you get it in without the bribe, oops, I mean fee, bonus. You will have some extra fun cash on the trip.

Just have the extra money with you if you want to take your detector with you.

Additionally, be aware that your detector may represent a years wages for a local. Depending on where you are, it may target you for theft.

Now go and ENJOY!

XtreasureX

Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Black. Since I drive through the border I am not subject to many of the customs inspections of an airport. I too struggle with cultural perceptions that we all have. It is one of the most frustrating things I deal with in Sonora. I am the only "white" guy in this area. I have developed strategies to deal with this, some work, some don't. My most useful is this: Don't look like you have more than you need. This can be interpreted in many ways from many perspectives. From the perspective of a customs officer at an international border to Mexico a metal detector would look like an expensive tool used to loot the place. Strike one. I am well dressed and driving a clean, well organised, semi-new car with all the things I need to enjoy a nice vacation. Strike two. I am in a hurry to get through this process and on to my destination. Strike three. Give me some money!! This was my personal experience. I am that guy. I had more than HE thought I needed.

I hated this situation. I wanted to freak out and yell at the guy. I was scared too. Eventually I gave him a twenty spot and I drove through.

I was not going to do that every time I crossed the border. I needed a new plan. After much consideration I came up with this: "The Crazy Guy".
1. Take my metal detector apart and put the pieces in different places, but in plain sight. I put pieces of duct tape on it to make it look like it had many repairs. I gave it a "patina" with dirt from my yard.
2. I don't shave, don't wash my car, leave all the garbage on the floor, put my dirty clothes on top of my valuables, wear my work around the house clothes. Make a general mess. I appeared to be crazy.
3. I insisted on doing the entire process in Spanish. I would make him ask me every question very slowly, multiple times. While I was talking to him I stared at his ear. I planned on talking to him for at least 30 minutes. I would cough and tell him I felt sick. I would look confused.
I could tell the guy was getting impatient with me. I stayed in character. Saying nothing and looking like you are thinking can be profound. I stared at his ear....he was cracking. He waved me through. I burst

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions