Advice Needed - Determining Treasure Depth

Ed E.

Nov 4, 2007
I need a way to accurately (as much as possible) determine the depth & location of a sizable treasure cache. Ideally, this would work in depths up to 100ft. I've read some negative reports on numerous devices at http://geotech.thunting.com, so any help or guidance would be very appreciated.

Also, any advice on how the slope of a hill would impact detector readings? (meaning...if I'm on a slight slope.....will the target be straight down or will it be at a right angle to the slope of the ground?

Many Thanks

Ed

pgleba

Oct 4, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Learning how to operate a geophysical instrument takes training and skill. Too much work. Hammer seismic would be the way to go using geophysics. The more direct route would be a Winkie portable drill. I believe one costs around $13,000. For geophysics you might want to check with the company Geonics. They both sell and rent instruments. Let them know your specific needs. They can guide you.

K

Kentucky Kache

Keep your coil parallel with the ground, regardless of the angle.

99thpercentile

Nov 2, 2006
Evergreen, CO
Detector(s) used
Geonics EM61-MK2, Geophex GEM-3, GapEOD UltraTEM III, Minelabs F3, Foerster MINEX 2FD 4.500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding a target at a depth of 100 feet is difficult not matter what the conditions. What size do you think the target is? What is the target composed of? How did it get to 100 feet, is it in a tunnel or cave? Most people would not dig a 100 foot deep hole to bury a cache. I am a geophysicist and look for buried targets all the time, but I would want a lot more information before I would start attempting to find this. Geonics instruments won't be much use to you to find something buried at 100 feet unless it is the size of a tank, and in that case a magnetometer would be more useful.

OP
OP
E

Ed E.

Nov 4, 2007
Thanks for the replies. All guidance and advice is very appreciated.

The target is about 15ft by 2ft. The target material is gold. Depth is the key question at this point. It is probably somewhere between 50 to 100 ft, but this estimate could easily be wrong.

Thanks again,

Ed

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
Here are my suggestions (free bad advice):

1. Rent a Geonics EM16 or similar. This should be able to locate the spot on the Earth immediately above the ore body. An experienced operator may be able to estimate depth by how rapidly the electromagnetic wave tilts as it approaches the ore body.

2. Dig. drill, or probe as necessary to hit it.

Chip V.
P.S. This is not dowsing, but relies on strictly scientific principles. Sort of like a giant metal detector.

OP
OP
E

Ed E.

Nov 4, 2007
Many thanks for the continued replies. I looked at the Geonics site and noticed that they made Borehole Probes. Any thoughts or guidance on these types of devices. If I drilled pilot hole, would this allow me to horizontally analyze materials along the length of the hole?

Thanks again

Ed

pgleba

Oct 4, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
There was or perhaps still is a surface instrument called Gold Spear. One stuck it into the ground and it could identify gold.l Perhaps it could be adapted for borehole sensing. Any instrument would only sense the immediate side of the bore hole. I don't know if the result could be extrapolated for a distance further out. Your best bet would be to call the folks at Geonics and get their input.

yanis

Aug 9, 2004
Is your target gold ore Or gold bars?
If it is gold bars try to find the endry where they put it in, because there is noway for someone to dig 100 feet hole put them in and cover it, Unles was buried and a bunch of hills did colapsed on that spot.
Yanis

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear Ed E;
Determining treasure depth has always been a straightforward and excruciatingly simple process for myself and scores of other determined treasure hunters. The depth of all my treasures has always been just beyond the end of my shovel ;D
Your friend;
LAMAR

M

Mike(Mont)

I've never used a ground resistance meter, but you should ask someone has. I think one would work. Tim Williams sells an inexpensive unit or you might even build your own with a couple car batteries.

geowizard

Greenie
Apr 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Every target has a method!"

When we "define" the target, we also define the scope of possible methods to detect it. This target seems to fit the definition of an "electrical conductor" so the method of choice is "electrical conductivity".

Electrical conductivity can be measured directly using conventional electrical resistivity(inverse of conductivity) where a current transmitter applies current through stakes in the ground and potential is measured at specified distances along a line. or a second method; Using Transient EM methods see examples at Zonge geophysics and Fugro Airborne, EMpulse Geophysics Ltd., of similar systems.

To answer the question of size; a geophysical system is scaled proportional to the depth of the target. If using an array of electrical resistivity (direct contact) electrodes, the array should be configured for electrode spacings of 10 feet over a spread of 100 feet. This will provide resolution of a target on the scale of 10-15 feet and a depth/pseudosection of 100 feet.

If the method of choice is electromagnetic/TEM, the target may be resolved using a transmitter coil (loop) having a diameter of 100 feet, transmitting current of about 10 amps into 3-10 turns. The dipole moment is calculated by multiplying the loop area in square meters x turns x current. The greater the dipole moment, the greater the depth and signal to noise ratio. These systems can be home made, bought off the shelf or rented.

Keep in mind depth and scale. The big exploration companies that explore for massive sulfide mineralization on the scale of 1km at up to 1km depth use systems on the same scale. The loops can be 1km on a side and transmit thousands of watts of energy.

Cool, fun stuff!! Good luck finding that Gold!!!

Geowizard

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread