Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, so I'm at a bit of a dilemma...

I have the spot that I've been digging at since I started recreational prospecting. Community dig site south of Cattle Canyon Bridge at the East Fork. Gold is ok, not great. But I know what to expect when I dig there. I think part of why this site produces decent-ish gold is that it's so dug out that the holes are far enough down that the pay layer is accesible. And the holes just migrate around as different people dig them. I can count on a few decent flakes, a picker now and again, and a bit of fine gold every time I go there. But I'm defenetely not getting over a gram in a few hours of digging like the boys in Colorado.

But whenever I try a new place to dig and start my own hole I usually find much less. And I know a big part of that is simply that I'm not at a depth deep enough to get decent gold. I know I could commit to digging a new spot but I don't know if it would pan out to anything more than what I'm already getting at my current spot. And then there is the opportunity cost of finding/starting a new hole. And the time it would take to dig it out to where it's paying at least what I'm already getting.

I guess I could test pan around, but with all the overburden covering everything, I really don't feel like that would produce much as all the pay is down deep.

Thoughts?

The other thing I've thought about it using google Earth and tracking the river location. In a few of the places I dig it's jumped the bed after the rains in 2005 to where it's currently flowing. I know the river carved out the entire canyon at one time so the gold is everywhere, but if I dig in a now dry river channel that used to flow 10 years ago am I upping my odds?

Still learning.

My other issue is partly related to the fact that most of my digging is close to the parking lots so it's heavily prospected. But until I improve my gear and find a reliable digging partner I'm sorta stuck staying close for now.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never been to EF, but how about a trench crossways to the stream after you find a pay layer. Yeah, I know a backhoe would work real good, but maybe after you get a pardner or two. :tongue3:

Finding the pay layer is part of my problem, and comes from inexperience. Part of it comes from a lack of sampling. Part of it comes from digging in a community hole. It's hard to be scientific about something when dirt/tailings/oveburden/someone else digging can fill in/contaminate your ability to understand the ground and what depth has the best gold. Right now I'm kinda taking the "think less shovel more" approach of the Bazooka and just running volume. I know there is gold scattered everywhere around where I'm digging. But since getting to Bedrock is impossible, and there is no false bedrock, the gold just feels like it's scattered willynilly in the gravel layers. So i've taken to putting my efforts into targeting larger rocks/boulders closest to the water table as my "false bedrock" so to speak.

I'm going to start better tracking my number of buckets. What depth I was digging them from using the water table as a base line of measurement (assuming my hole isn't filled). Hopefully this way I can start to get a informed idea about the grams/yard this location produces. Rather than just digging and hoping for a flash in the pan.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wildminer, if you brought a backhoe to EFSG the FS would just shoot you ! No trial , nothing. I know you were speaking " what if" . LOL

OP
OP
G

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20170119_131254.jpg

So I did get a picker... Just not the color I wanted it to be :BangHead: I'm not sure what it is, probably lead is my best guess. It's twisted with rust color on the edges and grey everywhere else. Maybe a spur from a shovel? The other smaller grey/white stuff is mercury gold from what I'm told, or at least could be.

I think I need to get a scale. I want to start weighing my payouts. Any brands you guys like from Amazon?

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Finding the pay layer is part of my problem, and comes from inexperience. Part of it comes from a lack of sampling. Part of it comes from digging in a community hole. It's hard to be scientific about something when dirt/tailings/oveburden/someone else digging can fill in/contaminate your ability to understand the ground and what depth has the best gold. Right now I'm kinda taking the "think less shovel more" approach of the Bazooka and just running volume. I know there is gold scattered everywhere around where I'm digging. But since getting to Bedrock is impossible, and there is no false bedrock, the gold just feels like it's scattered willynilly in the gravel layers. So i've taken to putting my efforts into targeting larger rocks/boulders closest to the water table as my "false bedrock" so to speak.

I'm going to start better tracking my number of buckets. What depth I was digging them from using the water table as a base line of measurement (assuming my hole isn't filled). Hopefully this way I can start to get a informed idea about the grams/yard this location produces. Rather than just digging and hoping for a flash in the pan.

Well said and welcome to my world. So far, the best gold I've found is in pockets...usually no larger than 1'x1'. For me, looking for the pay streak seems to be the same as finding a gold coin with a metal detector. For 2017 I intend to focus on cracks and sniping. Low impact with potential better rewards...if I get better at it.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, sniping is really fun . It can be very productive. KISS take the money and run

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1404295

So I did get a picker... Just not the color I wanted it to be :BangHead: I'm not sure what it is, probably lead is my best guess. It's twisted with rust color on the edges and grey everywhere else. Maybe a spur from a shovel? The other smaller grey/white stuff is mercury gold from what I'm told, or at least could be.

I think I need to get a scale. I want to start weighing my payouts. Any brands you guys like from Amazon?

That little patch of gold on the left hand side of the pan is/has been a good day for me.:BangHead: Here's to me for the new year....my secret weapon is on order.

OP
OP
G

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jeff, ordered the scale. I'll fid out how much below minimum wage I've earned since starting this dig ;)

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are numerous people prospecting the EF daily. More on weekends. prospecting is not illegal in the EFSG. Even the Monument hasn't banned it.

Good to know. I was wondering with the monument if the would start handing out tickets for prospecting. I make it to Disneyland pretty much once a year with the family. Been thinking I would break away for a two day prospect next time and check it out.

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is what you need " A come along " View attachment 1403683 They are cheap at Home Depot , I have several hidden up on the Sultan river where I do most of my mining. View attachment 1403684 It is really hard to get those boulders out especially when your hole is 6 to 8ft down.

Be careful with those, if the cable breaks it can come back and cause some serious injuries.

OP
OP
G

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to know. I was wondering with the monument if the would start handing out tickets for prospecting. I make it to Disneyland pretty much once a year with the family. Been thinking I would break away for a two day prospect next time and check it out.

If you dig south of Cattle Canyon Bridge you shouldn't really have any issues with the Forrest Service. Plenty of holes there to pick from. Just make sure to get a day pass for parking, although I don't think they really even check for those.

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Home made drop riffle, 'zook' mini prospector, 'zook' sniper
Primary Interest:
Other
Be careful with those, if the cable breaks it can come back and cause some serious injuries.
If you do use these ... throw a jacket or towel over the cable, that way if it does break the towel/jacket will slow down the flying cable. I do that when recovering rally cars when they end up off the road.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wildminer, if you brought a backhoe to EFSG the FS would just shoot you ! No trial , nothing. I know you were speaking " what if" . LOL

49513_2000x2000.jpg

Let's get on that pay line!

OP
OP
G

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I got my scale today and dryed and weighed all my gold from all my trips and I'm at a whopping .58 Grams lol... I knew it wasn't a lot, but wow ;( lol

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
So I got my scale today and dryed and weighed all my gold from all my trips and I'm at a whopping .58 Grams lol... I knew it wasn't a lot, but wow ;( lol
Don't look at it as quantity of gold but as quality of time - spent in the outdoors, with friends, and or self healing/reflection. I got 2.3 g over 20 outings but the knowledge, grounding and nature appreciation time was worth more than anything.

OP
OP
G

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the scale but it auto turns off too fast. Any way to change that, I haven't read the instructions yet lol. The little tiny pan didn't want to let go of my gold.

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the scale but it auto turns off too fast. Any way to change that, I haven't read the instructions yet lol. The little tiny pan didn't want to let go of my gold.
with the pan not letting go of your gold ... it could have some sort of releasing agent on it ... give it a good wash

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread