Advice on finding IHPs

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did dig 2 IHP in maryland with a friend, but so far none in NJ. 100 wheats, handful of silvers, but no IHPs. I would think I would have found the odd one here & there up here. Is it just a matter of luck? The majority of the hours I've spent hunting have been at sites (schools, parks, houses) developed around 1900-1910. should I go a little earlier?

thanks in advance

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It has been my experience that Indian Head Cents run a litle lower on the scale - down at or below the post '82 zinc Lincolns.

Find old sites and dig iffy signals.

The very old "fatty" brass IHC and Flying Eagle cents are way down below pull tab regions.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have dug most of mine on permissions where the houses were built in the latter part of the 1800s in the older areas of town.

S

stefen

I live in a late 1800's Victorian an still havn't scoped out my yard...leave that for the grandkids...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't tell you where they register on an AT-Pro, but on my Minelab they read below zinc pennies. If you aren't digging deep "junk" signals you will miss a lot of them.

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
This
It has been my experience that Indian Head Cents run a litle lower on the scale - down at or below the post '82 zinc Lincolns.

Find old sites and dig iffy signals.

The very old "fatty" brass IHC and Flying Eagle cents are way down below pull tab regions.

That
I think they give pretty crappy signals sometimes.

Also
I can't tell you where they register on an AT-Pro, but on my Minelab they read below zinc pennies. If you aren't digging deep "junk" signals you will miss a lot of them.

I've found them digging such trashy signals I was surprised they weren't trash. You should still be good in the years you mentioned, coins were carried a long time after the minting stopped.

Mifarmer

Jun 30, 2014
Barry county
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO x2 XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found them reading 60 on up to 76 on my at pro, you have to dig everything if you are really searching for them,. I used to only dige high tones, the first time I started to dig the low ones I found a lot of war nickels and Indians.
Kyle-

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
IHCs are frequently not good signals, scratchy or broken on the Deus. On the ATP, they will be a bit lower than a modern cent. Most will be a bit deeper than Wheaties. If you dig Barber coins, then Indians will be there too.

One "not so" secret: Dig all of the repeatable signals that you can dig at older places, it will pay off.

OP
OP
Murray8144

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks very much for all the replies. I see a trend in them. Deep lower vdi scratchy signals. As chance would have it I dug one yesterday. Thought it was a wheat until I cleaned it off at home.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread