Advice on finding UNSEARCHED Wheats n Indians please.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all.
I'm relatively new to CRHing. I've been concentrating on a new Wheat collection, but need Indians as well. Please note, I'm not looking for key dates yet, but reliable sources for unsearched cents.
A local dealer has rolls of "teen" wheats for $20. All have obviously been searched. Price on rolls drop per succeeding decade.
Where do you look for unsearched cents?
Thanks
Peace

Upvote 0

CRH

Nov 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I recommend looking through a dealers wheat bin. While you may not find the best coins you can snag a lot of '10,'20,'30s for relatively cheap(3 to 5 cents). Doing this myself I have found a 1914S in around XF-40-45 and a 1924S in VF. It does produce you just have to look :).
-CRH

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Tanner and I picked up a roll of unsearched Indian head cents at the bank about a month ago. It only cost .50 for the roll. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coin-roll-hunting/436382-much-wampum-found-big-pow-wow-pics.html Of course we had to search thousands of rolls before we found that one.:laughing7:

Honesty, I do not think you would have much luck buying "unsearched" rolls off the internet or from coin dealers.
One nice thing about searching cents is collectors have to look at thousands of them before they find a really good one. There is a lot more profit in silver dollars and halves, I bet a lot coin dealers do not have the time to look at all the cents they buy. If you can score a bucket full of them you might do well. I think a lot of coin dealer when they buy a collection cherry pick the best coins, move them out fast to make their profit and then they have to sort through all the seconds and lessor value coins. They may not have time to search them and just move them out of their shop any way they can.

Keep on Searching
Dad and Tanner

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only way to truly get unsearched penny rolls would be a machine wrapped roll from a bank which still won't guarantee you finding any wheats or Indians.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As others have suggested, better to check on your local coin shop........ I avoid flea market dealers, seems they always have an angle, IMO.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY RARE for true unsearched rolls. They would have to come from an estate sale hord that someone saved up over the years. If I knew where to get truly unsearched wheats I wouldn't tell!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the same guy that sells the, "How to win the lottery - GUARANTEED!", and "How to Beat the Roulette Table - GUARANTEED!" booklets also sells unsearched coinage.

OP
OP
C

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the advice!
Here in Cincinnati 2 months ago, a guy on CL was selling lots of 1000 unsearched wheat's. I called him and asked how he knew they were unsearched. I was told that they came from a coin dealers estate? Who knows? I didn't purchase merely from the tone of the conversation. They did sell fast though.
Thanks again...
Peace

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless rolled before 1959, if the roll has all wheats and possibly indians in it, it was searched at some time in the past.

My advice:
Be selective and only buy when the price is low enough that if you don't find anything you can sell whatever you bought at the same price and just be out time and possibly gas.

You may not find much or you might get lucky. So long as you view it as a hobby, not an investment, and are having fun doing it what's the harm.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only truly unsearched lot I ever came across was at a pawn shop one time. And the pawn guy actually let me look thru them in the store. I spent a few hours in a chair looking through 5-8000 or so. I kept every better date and mint marked coin from the 30s and older. He sold them to me for 5c each. I found some pretty good stuff: about 10-12 '09 VDB, 3 22d, and many s-mints from the teens and 20s. No expensive key dates, but still well worth my time & a bargain at 5c each.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Unserached roll is generally an oxymoron.
There generally is no short cut to finding wheats/IHs

I would suggest either
Coin roll hunting to buy at face value or
Find a low cost LCS to buy at or below red book price.

When my father died, I looked through his coin collection.
He had 10-12 rolls of pennies labeled by the decade (1890-1940).
I could have tried to sell them as unsearched, but I was too curious.
Nothing super rare. but a good start for my and my brother's coin collection.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread