May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron is a low tone, once you hear it you'll know the difference.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't discriminate them, just don't dig them when you here them...like gamiller said, they will be a low tone.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also should mention turn the volume as loud as you can, and start off in auto tune (my understanding is this will be deeper and a wider search pattern), then once a signal is attained adjust to the amount of discrimination you need to decide dig or no dig. Repeat the process start the next search in auto tune etc. not that much more work and may yield better results. If I am wrong I'm sure someone will chime in.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks!

So a gold ring (or coin) will be quite easily identifiable from a rusty nail etc, assuming I learn the tones etc?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!

So a gold ring (or coin) will be quite easily identifiable from a rusty nail etc, assuming I learn the tones etc?
Yep, the gold ring will be mid tone or high if its a big ring.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also should mention turn the volume as loud as you can, and start off in auto tune (my understanding is this will be deeper and a wider search pattern), then once a signal is attained adjust to the amount of discrimination you need to decide dig or no dig. Repeat the process start the next search in auto tune etc. not that much more work and may yield better results. If I am wrong I'm sure someone will chime in.
I hunt volume wide open in auto tune. When I get a hit I switch to 0 discriminate to see what tone I get. I dig every mid and high tone and leave the iron. If the iron is real loud likes its shallow I will scoop it sometimes to see what it is. Almost always junk but Ive dug a couple of good iron targets like a nice Gerber pocket knife. Just too many iron targets on the beaches I hunt to dig them all.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your CZ will offer you three types of responses in disc mode, low, medium, and high. Run your disc on "1" and then dig all the med and high tones. With this setting, the CZ sometimes likes large iron objects, responding with mid tones even though you have iron disc'd out. Items like nails and screws will sometimes offer you uncertain/broken/chirp responses. This is where I would start out until you are really familiar with the machine.

OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt volume wide open in auto tune. When I get a hit I switch to 0 discriminate to see what tone I get. I dig every mid and high tone and leave the iron. If the iron is real loud likes its shallow I will scoop it sometimes to see what it is. Almost always junk but Ive dug a couple of good iron targets like a nice Gerber pocket knife. Just too many iron targets on the beaches I hunt to dig them all.

THATS HOW I HUNT MOST OF THE TIME - BUT IF YOU ARE IN CANADA OR CARRIBEAN COUNTRY THAT USES CRAP METALS IN THEIR COINS - YOU HAVE TO DIG IT ALL - I CAN USUALLY TELL WHEN ITS A NAIL - BUT I HAVE FOUND THIN AND/OR SMALL WHITE GOLD RINGS THAT HAVE GONE OFF AS LONE TONES TOO- ESPECIALLY IF THEY ARE AT DEPTH - AND CAKED SILVER DOWN AROUND 2 FEET RANGE (ESPECIALLY IF YOUR BATTERIES ARE NOT NEW) HAVE READ AS LOW TONES - BUT WHEN I GET ANY KIND OF A FAINT SIGNAL - I FAN ABOUT 6 IN. WITH MY DIVE BOOT AND RECHECK - USUALLY IF IT IS A GOOD DEEP TARGET - IT WILL THEN READ MID OR HIGH
I KNOW ALOT OF GUYS THAT WERE PASSING THESE DEEP LOW TONE SIGNALS UP -- IF IM IN AN OLD AREA - I JUST DIG IT ALL
ONE THING I DO LIKE IS - IF YOU ARE IN AN INFESTED NAIL AREA - YOU CAN LEAVE IT IN ZERO MODE AND PICK OUT THE HIGH AND MIDS
FOUND A GOLD RING THAT WAY IN SOFT SAND AND GOT A SIL.HALF AND A FEW OTHER SILVER COINS AS WELL AS A SMALL GOLD RING OFF
A BOAT RAMP LOADED WITH NAILS,BOTTLE CAPS AND A STEEL CHAIN - i CLICKED TO ZERO AND WAS GETTING
"BURP,BURP,BURP,BINK,BINK,BURP,BURP,BINK" - WHEN I STUCK MY FACE IN - I COULD SEE TRASH ALL OVER THE TOP - FANNED AND PULLED THE GOODIES OUT--I ENDED UP TAKING ALL THE TRASH OUT EVENTUALLY TOO -- BUT OTHERS WOULD HAVE GONE NUTS WITH ALL THE SIGNALS -
AND IF THEY HAD A MASK AND SAW THE IRON I SAW - MIGHT HAVE JUST MOVED ON

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THATS HOW I HUNT MOST OF THE TIME - BUT IF YOU ARE IN CANADA OR CARRIBEAN COUNTRY THAT USES CRAP METALS IN THEIR COINS - YOU HAVE TO DIG IT ALL - I CAN USUALLY TELL WHEN ITS A NAIL - BUT I HAVE FOUND THIN AND/OR SMALL WHITE GOLD RINGS THAT HAVE GONE OFF AS LONE TONES TOO- ESPECIALLY IF THEY ARE AT DEPTH - AND CAKED SILVER DOWN AROUND 2 FEET RANGE (ESPECIALLY IF YOUR BATTERIES ARE NOT NEW) HAVE READ AS LOW TONES - BUT WHEN I GET ANY KIND OF A FAINT SIGNAL - I FAN ABOUT 6 IN. WITH MY DIVE BOOT AND RECHECK - USUALLY IF IT IS A GOOD DEEP TARGET - IT WILL THEN READ MID OR HIGH
I KNOW ALOT OF GUYS THAT WERE PASSING THESE DEEP LOW TONE SIGNALS UP -- IF IM IN AN OLD AREA - I JUST DIG IT ALL
ONE THING I DO LIKE IS - IF YOU ARE IN AN INFESTED NAIL AREA - YOU CAN LEAVE IT IN ZERO MODE AND PICK OUT THE HIGH AND MIDS
FOUND A GOLD RING THAT WAY IN SOFT SAND AND GOT A SIL.HALF AND A FEW OTHER SILVER COINS AS WELL AS A SMALL GOLD RING OFF
A BOAT RAMP LOADED WITH NAILS,BOTTLE CAPS AND A STEEL CHAIN - i CLICKED TO ZERO AND WAS GETTING
"BURP,BURP,BURP,BINK,BINK,BURP,BURP,BINK" - WHEN I STUCK MY FACE IN - I COULD SEE TRASH ALL OVER THE TOP - FANNED AND PULLED THE GOODIES OUT--I ENDED UP TAKING ALL THE TRASH OUT EVENTUALLY TOO -- BUT OTHERS WOULD HAVE GONE NUTS WITH ALL THE SIGNALS -
AND IF THEY HAD A MASK AND SAW THE IRON I SAW - MIGHT HAVE JUST MOVED ON
If I swing over a target and get say three iron tones and a mid, I take a scoop off and re scan. The target usually goes all iron or goes to mid. I hunt a boat ramp that is super trashy and its the only place where I hunt in 0 disc instead of auto tune. I love the ripping sound auto tune makes when you go over a target.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I swing over a target and get say three iron tones and a mid, I take a scoop off and re scan. The target usually goes all iron or goes to mid. I hunt a boat ramp that is super trashy and its the only place where I hunt in 0 disc instead of auto tune. I love the ripping sound auto tune makes when you go over a target.

I STARTED OUT IN THE MID 70S (AS A KID) AND USED AN ALL METAL MACHINE FOR LIKE 10 YRS - THE ALL METAL MODE OF THE CZ21 (AND CZ20)
SOUND JUST LIKE IT - I USED TO FIND TONS OF GOODIES BACK THEN DIGGING IT ALL BEHIND THE GUYS WITH THE HIGH PRICED DISCRM. MACHINES - AND DO IT NOW IN THE WATER HUNTING IN ALL METAL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread