Advice on homemade penny sorter

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
I have never built one no, but it really wouldn't take much to make one. All you would need is some kind of pendulum and calibrate it to 3.11 grams. Then something to spin the coins into a funnel onto the pendulum and boom you have it. I have never done this cause I am a "cherry picker"

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
There are some advantages to this comparator sorting method over date sorting . . .

If you are set on trying this, my advice is to . . .

Make sure not to order . . . You want one . . . If it has . . . that's the one for you (that's a . . . comparator). If it has . . . in the model number, it is . . . If it has . . . in the model number, it won't work for cents. . . .there are other differences that are too hard to deal with.

Try to get one . . .

. . . It will speed things up tremendously and take a lot of the tedium out of the process.

Last edited:

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
If you are interested in this, I would definitely check out madwest's old posts. He provided a tremendous resource to the forum by detailing out his own journey in creating a homemade penny sorter. Almost anything you would want to know can be found in his posts. If I had any DIY aptitude I would probably try it myself.

cjeffh1

Oct 14, 2012
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have purchased a comparitor CC-16E,INH 2.6G 16T 4C, Serial # A623005, CMI# 6610177.
I have found several different pin identifications here at the forum and on the net, I am not sure which one to use and are there any pins that need to be tied together with a loop of wire on the molox connector? I have a power supply 14VDC the comparitor has 13VDC on the label will this work ok?
Any help would sure be appreciated, I am building this project with my 11 year old son.

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have purchased a comparitor CC-16E,INH 2.6G 16T 4C, Serial # A623005, CMI# 6610177.
I have found several different pin identifications here at the forum and on the net, I am not sure which one to use and are there any pins that need to be tied together with a loop of wire on the molox connector? I have a power supply 14VDC the comparitor has 13VDC on the label will this work ok?
Any help would sure be appreciated, I am building this project with my 11 year old son.

Your 14V power supply should be good, I would think. I didnt have any luck getting my Coinalyzer comparitor to work, I couldnt get the wiring figured out. Try googling "CC-16E wiring diagram" I did that when troubleshooting mine and it helped some, I think I just bought the wrong model number. I ended up buying a CPU comparitor. It's not as good, but it works good enough for my operation.

cjeffh1

Oct 14, 2012
NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have searched and searched what I have found is several scematics for the CC-16E that shows an "a" or ""b" pin layout one complete reversed from the other, I have no idea which one I have or how to tell the difference.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread