Advice on salt water beach and shallow water detectors

Rscardino10

Jun 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone, I'm looking to purchase a new detector to hunt the beaches of North Carolina/ outer banks. Would like it to be water proof and great in the sand. I have heard so many different thoughts on what detector to get.. Some saying AT PRO is great some saying stay away, some saying go for a PI ect. I will mainly be hunting on the beach / water but may occasionally go further inland. With a price range of under 700 what do you think is my best bet for what I want to do? Thanks!

Upvote 0

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Watch craigslist or ebay and get a used Excal II

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
There is a machine that will do well at the beaches and on land but that is the CTX and is way above your budget. Your best best is to find a used CZ21 or Excalibur. Even those used might be above your budget especially in the summer when demand is much higher. You can get a PI unit but you will be digging a lot as our beaches are pretty trashy. You might be able to find a used Whites BHID that could do the job too. The AT Pro will not work on our beaches unless you in the dry sand only.

Additionally, you could look for a machine that is not waterproof but will work on the beaches and on land - MInelab Etrac and Fisher CZ3D. These will do great on the sand and on land but they are not waterproof. You can probably find a used CZ3D for like $500.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone, I'm looking to purchase a new detector to hunt the beaches of North Carolina/ outer banks. Would like it to be water proof and great in the sand. I have heard so many different thoughts on what detector to get.. Some saying AT PRO is great some saying stay away, some saying go for a PI ect. I will mainly be hunting on the beach / water but may occasionally go further inland. With a price range of under 700 what do you think is my best bet for what I want to do? Thanks!

Best advice I can give you is add $250 to your budget and buy a used Minelab Excalibur.....

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Tesoro Tiger Shark ~ $632. But uses concentric coil.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tiger Shark is fresh water detector...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Sand Shark PI - best value on the market today for the saltwater hunter!:occasion14:

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Used Excalibur. I've purchased both of mine for under your $700 price line. Patience is the key...

OP
OP
R

Rscardino10

Jun 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do like the CZ3D and believe it would do a good job on the beach for coins and jewelry which is what I really want. as for it being waterproof, I do not want to submerge it fully but am looking something I can use in a few feet of water. Is the coil safe to put in the water, obviously the box is not.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
I do like the CZ3D and believe it would do a good job on the beach for coins and jewelry which is what I really want. as for it being waterproof, I do not want to submerge it fully but am looking something I can use in a few feet of water. Is the coil safe to put in the water, obviously the box is not.

Unless its 100% waterproof, I wouldnt take it near the water. One fall and its done. Search the forums and you will see it happening to people. But you can easily search the waters edge.

If I were getting a CZ3D, it would be this machine hands down: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/treasure-related-stuff-sale/504317-tom-dankowski-tuned-cz3d.html

I would jump on this sale asap if you are interested because the Tom D machines go fast.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Some say an At-Pro works with chatter and some say it doesn't. Here is an honest opinion. A PI is a GREAT deep machine. However if you don't want to dig countless bobby pins and pieces of iron I would stay clear of it. At least for your first machine for the beaches. I think you really have three choices in your price range. All are great for salt and fresh water and discriminate.

A Minelab Excalibur
A Fisher CZ-20 or CZ-21
A Whites BHID

ALL three are great fresh and salt water machines and nobody with an Excalibur can prove to me it is deeper than my CZ-21. A Whites BHID is a waterproof version of the DFX.

I don't have an agenda. I don't shove what I use down anyone's throat. And I have a lot of experience with fresh water and some salt water hunting.

REMEMBER, a machine is not the only thing you need to buy. A good scoop will set you back over a hundred, a wet suit, booties and finds pouch are needed.

Depending on your comfort with the water a PFD might also be desired. NO shame in being safe. My website has some useful information if you are interested. http://www.scubadetector.com

Be safe and good luck

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro Sand Shark PI - best value on the market today for the saltwater hunter!:occasion14:
True, if you're in the water where there isn't much trash. It's miserable in a park, and not all that much fun in the dry sand either if you have fire rings or iron targets as bad as my beaches.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen to what's been said. Right now on my local craigslist are an Excal 800 /with scoop, a CZ-21, and a Beachhunter ID for $600 each. You can usually find a better deal on the BHID for around $450.

Last edited:

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Listen to what's been said. Right now on my local craigslist are an Excal 800 /with scoop and a CZ-21 for $600 each.

Your correct and the best place to buy! Even it it needs to be serviced or mods done in my humble opinion [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Some say an At-Pro works with chatter and some say it doesn't. Here is an honest opinion. A PI is a GREAT deep machine. However if you don't want to dig countless bobby pins and pieces of iron I would stay clear of it. At least for your first machine for the beaches. I think you really have three choices in your price range. All are great for salt and fresh water and discriminate.

A Minelab Excalibur
A Fisher CZ-20 or CZ-21
A Whites BHID

AT Pro doesn't work well on the wet beach around me in NC. I have talked to countless guys with AT Pros who came here for their week vacation and were stuck on the dry sand.

The 3 machines listed would definitely be on the top of my radar but if you dont need waterproof I would really jump on that CZ3D as its been tuned by tom D

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
The CZ-20/21 is equal to the Excalibur.
I have had them both and never was able to find a target with one that the other could not detect also.

A CZ3D will work and you can chest mount he control box and wrap it in a couple zip lock bags to keep the spray and splash off it.
It will work about as well as the CZ-20/21 in waste deep water or less.

If you get out and use it you will most likely find enough gold to get want ever detector you want by the end of the summer.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
AT Pro doesn't work well on the wet beach around me in NC. I have talked to countless guys with AT Pros who came here for their week vacation and were stuck on the dry sand.
(snip)

There is one area here on Mustang Island (South of Packery channel) in front of a condo that the AT Pro will go nuts even in the dry sand.
Totally unusable no matter what setting.
Have no idea what is causing it.
My E-Trac and CZ-5 have no problems detecting that area.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those that say the AT Pro works at their beach don't realize not all beaches are the same. They bought into Garrett's false advertising that it is all terrain. Well it is but with poor performance. Sort like saying a magnet finds metal.:laughing7:

shinythings1

Greenie
Jun 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm fairly new to the hobby... I tried the CZ21 and I didn't care for the weight of it... mounted on my hip or not.... I wound up with a used excalibur II... I'm still very much learning it... but I've done ok, but I dont think I'm doing as well as I can... I have a lot to learn. I found that I like the threshold versus just the quiet that the CZ had... I bought mine used for 750... I put a CF straight shaft from plugger on it, and I plan to do the headphones and pinpoint mods very soon. I also have an AT Pro that I use for land. We use it on the beach when my wife comes with me... it gets some chatter but it finds things....

I am learning to love the Excalibur... I think I want the CTX3030 for the bells and whistles but I'm very much learning that they are all very similar... Find one that you like and works for you... For me between the CZ and Excalibur it came down to comfort... Yeah I'll spend more to mod it, but I'll be comfortable.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
I'm fairly new to the hobby... I tried the CZ21 and I didn't care for the weight of it... mounted on my hip or not.... I wound up with a used excalibur II... I'm still very much learning it... but I've done ok, but I dont think I'm doing as well as I can... I have a lot to learn. I found that I like the threshold versus just the quiet that the CZ had... I bought mine used for 750... I put a CF straight shaft from plugger on it, and I plan to do the headphones and pinpoint mods very soon. I also have an AT Pro that I use for land. We use it on the beach when my wife comes with me... it gets some chatter but it finds things....

I am learning to love the Excalibur... I think I want the CTX3030 for the bells and whistles but I'm very much learning that they are all very similar... Find one that you like and works for you... For me between the CZ and Excalibur it came down to comfort... Yeah I'll spend more to mod it, but I'll be comfortable.

I dont get how you can say you didnt like the CZ because of the weight and then went ahead and got another machine that is nearly the same weight??? I have both an excal and CZ21 and each tire me out after 1-2 hours on the stock shaft. I had to mod each to be comfortable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions