Advice / Trouble shooting - Tejon

o-dat-bob

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All right, newbie here, just bought a used Tesoro Tejon but pretty much looks like new, came with box, instructions, bumper sticker... everything but the card which had already been sent in. I'm doing my damnedest to try to figure it out going step by step through the procedures in the manual, turning all dials to the proper position and then following orders for an air test. The first thing I notice is the lack of a constant hum adjustable with the threshold or sometimes a continuous hum that can't be silenced. This is in the house, if I take it outside it squawks all over the place, have tried turning the Ground Adjust every which way but that doesn't seem to help. Is there anywhere in the San Fernando Valley where I can have it checked? I'm not too stressed if it has to go back as I got it real cheap but I'd like to eliminate operator error first.

Thanks

???

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it might not be operator error at all but electrical interference from microwave towers, cell phones, or even transformers and dog or security fences on your property or nearby. Drive out away from people to test it our. Clean out the coil cover of sand. Do a battery check and pull the trig while in all metal and try different frequencies with knob. If you think it is still "FUBAR'ed", Tesoro may still fix it for free. They are the only manufacturer that does this even for non orginal owners.

OP
OP
O

o-dat-bob

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I think I know of a park I can go to tomorrow that should be free of interference, if that doesn't work I'll call Tesoro and see if they can walk me through it.

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
I recently got into detecting with an eldorado umax and ground balancing did take some time to figure out, but it's a breeze now. And yes the detector does freak out when adjusting the ground balance knob.... I usually switch to discriminate while actually making an adjustment to gb, then switch back to all metal mode to test the setting, then the detector wont sound like its going crazy. As dumb as it sounds, It helped me.

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
pull the trigger back which will put the Tejon in all metal mode, with the trigger pulled back adjust the threshhold until you can just barely hear it. Now adjust the ground balance so it just barely increases as the coil is lowered to the ground. Turn the middle knob fully counter clockwise to the off position, that will help in determining size and depth. Turn the middle knob on the right clockwise until almost as far as it will go, if you get unstable with noises and clicks turn it back just a little bit until the detector settles down. Always run this setting as hot as you can. Remember the ground balance knob is a forever turning knob. I don't understand why Tesoro uses this kind of knob because it is confusing. You will have to turn this knob back and forth until you notice a change in tone as you bounce the detector up and down toward the ground, when you notice that change in tone then try to set it a little positive as I stated before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread