60.9 KB · Views: 278
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a rock, don't really see any sign of flacking or grinding.............

OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the reply guys. This piece actually does show some flaking, but i couldn't get it to show in the pics. Left side pic #2, top side pic #3. I just didn't recognize the shape. I wouldn't doubt it , if it was just a stone, we have many strange geofacts and tractorfacts around here.

Thanks again for the help,
Viking.

OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Had the piece looked at today by someone who knows local artifacts, it is not an adze.. He quickly I.D. the piece as being a paleo end scraper with a classic right side spur.What do you folks think??
Thanks again for the responses,
Viking.

wildcatman71

Apr 2, 2007
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300, Vintage Tesoro Sidewinder
theviking said:
Had the piece looked at today by someone who knows local artifacts, it is not an adze.. He quickly I.D. the piece as being a paleo end scraper with a classic right side spur.What do you folks think??
Viking.

I think....Good Eye! I would have picked it up...and possibly tossed it back down. Thats a BAD habit!

OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
wildcatman71 said:
theviking said:
Viking.

I think....Good Eye! I would have picked it up...and possibly tossed it back down. Thats a BAD habit!
Funny you said that, that's exactly what happened with this piece and others. After the house was completed, four years ago, we dug a garden next to the house and while removing the stones I noticed some looked weird. Not knowing anything about artifacts at the time I threw the weird ones in a pile outside the garden area. After finding a couple points without looking for them i decided to take another look at the pile, most of them turned out to be artifacts. Not knowing all of these artifacts were here we planted grass all over the cleared area without ever having a good look at the dirt. Now i want to tear all the grass up to get a better look. :laughing7:
thanks for the response,
Viking

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread