Afraid of heights?

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I tried, couldn't watch it more than about half way.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I felt it in my gut a few times lol.Some heights I dont like ,some I dont mind.

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
omg .. that made my palms sweat! Not even with a parachute on could you pay me enough to do that job!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They make good money but not good enough. $45k-$60k a year depending on where and who you work for. Too many fatalities for me...

Check this link out, too long to cut and paste. .

http://www.propublica.org/article/cell-tower-fatalities

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

MALO PERICULOSAM, LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETAM SERVITUTEM

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to reach down and see if mine were still there/ kind of hid for a while:laughing7:

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talking about heights. Do you know the height of ambition, Is a ant crawling up a Elephants leg with Rape in mind, And the height of defeat is a ant crawling down the other side.:laughing7:

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
They make good money but not good enough. $45k-$60k a year depending on where and who you work for. Too many fatalities for me...

I remember seeing a news clip quite a while ago.Two guys were on a tower like that and it snapped in half.See yeah,its a long way down.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The height of concede is a ant floating down a river on a toothpick with a woody, yelling open up the bridge. Enough about heights:laughing7:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No honey...you change the f'n light bulb.

Markomyt1

Dec 1, 2013
Cheyenne, WY
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom III
AT PRO Woot!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I rock climb and climbing down is a lot harder than going up.
El Capitan in Yosemite is over 3,000 feet straight up.
Most climbers take 3-5 days to climb it... better no sleep walk!
There were 2 speed climbers that climbed El Capitan in under 2 1/2 hours... El Capitan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think I'll stay down here...

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I think what it is is that I would trust mother natures handy work more than I would trust mans.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah towers wobble believe it or not as any metal structure does especially if there is any wind, (heck, even buildings and bridges wobble). I am sure climbing one would also wobble a bit if the climber happened to stop, could it be his knees or the tower? that is the real question!

I am not affraid of heights at all, even though I am a paratrooper and skydiver, but I am also NOT stupid!

BUT;

IF

I SAID IF, I was going to climb towers for a living, you can certainly bet I would be packing a parachute and I would certainly base jump my way down! Forget that climbing down jive!

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah towers wobble believe it or not as any metal structure does especially if there is any wind, (heck, even buildings and bridges wobble). I am sure climbing one would also wobble a bit if the climber happened to stop, could it be his knees or the tower? that is the real question!

I am not affraid of heights at all, even though I am a paratrooper and skydiver, but I am also NOT stupid!

BUT;

IF

I SAID IF, I was going to climb towers for a living, you can certainly bet I would be packing a parachute and I would certainly base jump my way down! Forget that climbing down jive!

But why do weebles wobble and they don't fall down???

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

I trust climbing trees and cliff faces more than I do climbing ladders.Towers,nope

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I trust climbing trees and cliff faces more than I do climbing ladders.Towers,nope

I use to have a part time business when living in Missouri. I was a chimney sweep for about 6 years. Did a lot of 2 and 3 story buildings, fell off of several in winter due to ice and roofs icing over at start of snow storms.

Fell off several roofs of 1 story buildings.

Worst fall was while working on 3 story mansion, roof was cedar shake, it iced over while I was on chimney installing a cap cover to keep squirrels out.

Fell from third to 2nd, kept sliding off roof due to pitch then fell to first as I was falling from 1st I grabbed a ladder i had there to get to 2nd and it fell but got hung up in a "L" shaped corner of building which kept me from going off which was good as it was a walk out basement on that side and would have been a 2 story drop to concrete patio...

From then on any time i worked cedar shake in winter I used a large canvas tarp i threw on roof to give me traction incase it iced over.....

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

MALO PERICULOSAM, LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETAM SERVITUTEM

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I havent had the privilege of falling off a ladder or a roof yet.:laughing7: Climbing 40 foot ladders suck,dont like it but i do it anyway just as long as somebody is there to foot the ladder.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red try doing a church raise sometime 50 ft straight up 2 guy's on stay poles 2 guys on ropes to steady it them go up. If you have ba11s you can go over the top and down the other side. a scary training tool on the fire Dept. Or look up a pompeer ladder. If you haven't climbed one of those you haven't lived:laughing7:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I owned a large old 2 story home in MI. with VERY steep roof pitch. Needed new roof. I stripped off the FIVE roofs and re-decked the entire thing with 1/2 plywood. My buddy and I used a small nylon rope to tie ourselves off with which went over the peak to the truck bumper on the other side. I just had my dad move and pull the truck up as we went up roof. So after the decking and tar paper were on we started to install new shingles. Now while the roof was very steep the new shingles gave "good" grip on my tennis shoes. So after we were up about 5-6 ft. we were able to turn around and really go to town installing some shingles. I didn't need the slack taken up on the rope. So we were maybe 6 ft. from the peak and had covered about 20 ft. of roof and I slipped and went down hard. As I slid down the roof fast it amazing what you think of fast. I knew I was tied off but I was still terrorized. I did NOT want to put that rope to the "test". Man did it hurt when I hit the end of that small diameter rope around my waist. My buddy quickly took the slack up on his.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread