Afraid to clean this one!

diggerbutt

Dec 31, 2013
El Paso
Detector(s) used
AT Pro-Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this bottle up in New Mexico. As soon as I got a better view of it, I was stoked! Why? Because I'm silly that way, and the bottle looked different. Other than having some pretty cool embossing, the label was in tact (for the most part)...However, a piece of layering started to peel off of it as soon as I pulled it out of the ground. The paper layering looks like nothing I've seen before. At first I thought it was a newspaper that had molded to the bottle in the dirt. It has different languages on it. My guess is that this is kind of similar to today's instructions on plastic bottles being in different languages. Back then, I didn't know that this was done. Anywho, now I'm afraid to clean it, and I need some advice. Any suggestions? Also, any info. on the paper label is greatly appreciated. I will post pics of some other finds today, when I get them half way presentable. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467771059.834384.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467771073.285324.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467771090.421188.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467771102.356569.jpg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very cool find! I bet these guys who know the bottles will be able to get you an I.D. Amazing that the label was still intact at all.
I like it!

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Omega Oil, like many medicinal bottles from the late 1800's into the early 1900's, often came wrapped with instructions on how to use it in several different languages in the box...

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's green!

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I think one of the languages is hebrew. That's a sweet bottle!

algeus

Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this bottle up in New Mexico. As soon as I got a better view of it, I was stoked! Why? Because I'm silly that way, and the bottle looked different. Other than having some pretty cool embossing, the label was in tact (for the most part)...However, a piece of layering started to peel off of it as soon as I pulled it out of the ground. The paper layering looks like nothing I've seen before. At first I thought it was a newspaper that had molded to the bottle in the dirt. It has different languages on it. My guess is that this is kind of similar to today's instructions on plastic bottles being in different languages. Back then, I didn't know that this was done. Anywho, now I'm afraid to clean it, and I need some advice. Any suggestions? Also, any info. on the paper label is greatly appreciated. I will post pics of some other finds today, when I get them half way presentable. View attachment 1333347 View attachment 1333348 View attachment 1333350 View attachment 1333351

New Mexico? What a cool find! The language on the piece of paper is Yiddish,and I can help you to translate it(just need a bit more clearer picture).

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a common bottle most of the time . with the la bull not so much.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; On Preserving the label and then cleaning it. Put a bunch of DucoCement Glue in a plastic roller pan. Then take a 1" sponge type paint brush. SLOWLY brush the glue in a "spreading" motion onto the label. Where the label has lifted or peeled a bit apply the glue onto the paper by GENTLY brushing on the glue by going from a more solid section towards the edges of the peeling part. Make sure you overlap the brush stroke past the peeling edge until the brush is fully onto a solid area.
If the paper has bubble pockets on it take a small needle and punch a pin hole into the bubble center. Then GENTLY push the bubble downwards towards it's Center. You may need to put several tiny holes in the bubbled spot to get all the air out ok.
After you have completely brushed the glue on the ENTIRE surface let it dry for 2 DAYS. The glue will dry 100% clear and permanently adhere the label back onto the bottle thus Preserving it. If any pieces have fallen off apply the glue directly onto the bottle itself then properly place the paper back onto the bottle. AFTER the label dries back on then just recoat that piece with more glue by following the above instructions thus Preserving that piece as well.
AFTER the bottle label has been Preserved and the glue is dried you can then go ahead and GENTLY wash the dirt off the bottle using a damp sponge. DO NOT soak it with the water.

CAUTIONS : You may need several sponge brushes ok. You will also need several tubes of the glue as well. Be careful not to smudge any dirt or ink around on the label This may be a bit tricky but if you take your time you should have no problems ok. Your bottle and Label will now be perfectly Sealed & Preserved. CONGRATS. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

Last edited:
OP
OP
diggerbutt

diggerbutt

Dec 31, 2013
El Paso
Detector(s) used
AT Pro-Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Barker! Excellent advice!