After 4 years of hunting, only 2 silver GW's found...

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The silver George Washington is definitely my white whale. Only 2 found in almost 4 years of hunting. Where are them suckers hiding? Are they all hunted out? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I use the Garrett AT -Pro.
(I've already thought about "old houses"-- it's next to impossible to get permission)

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The silver George Washington is definitely my white whale. Only 2 found in almost 4 years of hunting. Where are them suckers hiding? Are they all hunted out? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I use the Garrett AT -Pro.
(I've already thought about "old houses"-- it's next to impossible to get permission)

Not sure about your area but theres so many of those still left. I occasionally still get one in my pocket change every few years. I'm thinking you just need to keep researching and finding older houses or other sites. look for places where fairs, festivals, traveling attractions, races, meeting places like general stores and school houses, picnic areas.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
7up, while they don't pop up every day, like TP metal sez, the ground is still littered with them. When I first started detecting, this plagued me...I had HUNDREDS of clad GW's, but no silver. It was only when I switched from hunting parks, schools and playgrounds to older house sites, that I started to rake them in pretty regular. Actually, my first silver GW was a spill, a 39 GW and an 1898 Barber quarter. THAT was a good day...Good luck and happy hunting...Ddf

FingerChili

Feb 17, 2018
SF Bay Area, California
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't feel bad, I got all excited yesterday after a long day of hunting trash and clad for a '65 dime that I thought was silver. DOH!

My first and only silver (40's washington quarter) was on a beach in a small town right near the entrance in about one scoop of gravel. It almost felt too easy.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
They were harder to lose and are easier find, due to their size. I usually find about 9 silver dimes for every silver quarter. If you are finding dimes, you ought to be finding quarters too.

I have been hunting for 4 years, I have found a few less than 300 silver coins in that time. About 35 quarters and 15 half dollars.

I don't know Tucson, but around here, the public places have been well hunted, if there are any silvers, they are usually co-located with trash, that's the only reason nobody dug them up already. They are not good signals, or they'd be long gone.

You already ID'd the secret, it's the spot. You need to get on private property, where the other pirates have not dug all of the good stuff up already. Permission is the key. You HAVE to figure that part out, the good stuff is still out there, it's just not on public property.

JMHO. Good luck to you sir!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow u r making me feel better about my numbers. It's all about location. I never found gws in public spots but pull them regularly from my neighbors yards that were from the forties. I get 1.5 silvers from each yard. I need to get back to my neighborhood come to think of it. What is annoying is getting permission. I have a few huge sites I like working in the country. I don't find much but it's relaxing and when u do find something its old. Tiny yards are annoying since it takes as long to get the permission as to do the grounds. If u want junk silver detecting then that's the best way to find it. Or stand next to a coin star for a few days. That will net u the most silver but it's the least fun.

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
7up, while they don't pop up every day, like TP metal sez, the ground is still littered with them. When I first started detecting, this plagued me...I had HUNDREDS of clad GW's, but no silver. It was only when I switched from hunting parks, schools and playgrounds to older house sites, that I started to rake them in pretty regular. Actually, my first silver GW was a spill, a 39 GW and an 1898 Barber quarter. THAT was a good day...Good luck and happy hunting...Ddf

I'm the same. Hundreds of clad and only a few silver quarters found. I actually have hunted many older homes(1950s or earlier) and never found one! Maybe they are hidden amongst trash and I don't have the skill or detector to find them.

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow u r making me feel better about my numbers. It's all about location. I never found gws in public spots but pull them regularly from my neighbors yards that were from the forties. I get 1.5 silvers from each yard. I need to get back to my neighborhood come to think of it. What is annoying is getting permission. I have a few huge sites I like working in the country. I don't find much but it's relaxing and when u do find something its old. Tiny yards are annoying since it takes as long to get the permission as to do the grounds. If u want junk silver detecting then that's the best way to find it. Or stand next to a coin star for a few days. That will net u the most silver but it's the least fun.
I never found one in a coinstar either! Checked plenty of times...

eldorado

Mar 19, 2009
Northwest OHIO
Detector(s) used
started out with compass nugget.1970? have had many over years, current choice is Garrett ACE 350. collection includes: ace 250, AT Pro, ATX, Whites 6000, whites classic, still have my compass too.
reminds me of Charlie Brown at halloween," I got a rock"

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm the same. Hundreds of clad and only a few silver quarters found. I actually have hunted many older homes(1950s or earlier) and never found one! Maybe they are hidden amongst trash and I don't have the skill or detector to find them.

I doubt it's the equipment, the Fisher and the Pro are both decent machines, if silver is there, they will find it. Almost all of my silvers are found at private, older home sites and old farm houses. If and when u do get on an old, virgin site, GRID that place like no tomorrow. Both directions and then at an angle. Most of my good finds are usually on a subsequent pass that I had already been over. Location + Patience = silver. Good luck! Ddf

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In parks and public sites they can be pretty scarce. They're larger coins and were just plain easier to find over the years. My silver dime to quarter ratio is probably about 20:1 at these types of sites. The ones that I find are deeper; usually into the 8-9" range. I agree with the recommendation to get onto private property if you can get the permission.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions