After 6 months the 1.09 carat comes home!

Charles (Upstate NY)

Jun 5, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer
I found this ring beach hunting 6 months ago and turned it into the local police department. The ring went unclaimed so they returned it to me and I'm the new (legal) owner!!

The diamond is 1.09 carats, the color is incredible and using a loop I have been unable to find any flaws. Easily one of my best finds of all time. Given the value this one is heading for the bank vault tomorrow.

dr1.jpg

dr2.jpg

Upvote 0

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW,

You did the right thing and you were blessed with the out come!!

Congrats!!!! :) :) ;)

ANGELaLEIGH

Jan 30, 2007
TeXaS
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212x
Wow, now that's an eye catcher!!! Congrats!!! That had to be the longest six months for you!
HH ~Angela

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good on you!

Now you have to get it past the Mrs. ;)

jsu

Nov 29, 2007
NE Georgia
Detector(s) used
EAGLE II, TIGERSHARK, COMPADRE , MXT
WOW THAT MUST HAVE FELT LIKE 6 YEARS CONGRATS

mark43

Apr 8, 2007
Peru, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 whites m6
so..........where do you live exactly?............ummmm...........in case you need a guard or something like that ;D............seriously....nice ring.........hh.....mark43

oldhippiecoinhntr

Nov 25, 2007
After reading this post, I am inclined to comment, or offer my opinion. Please keep in mind, that 1) I did not read the original post by the person that found this ring, or the discussion then about turing it into law enforcement, or2) nor do I claim my opinion on this today to be true or right, its just an opinion.

I have only been on this site a few months, since late 2007. I have since then read many posts, seen many pictures posted of detectorists ring finds, and collections of rings, some numbering in the hundreds. I do not remember, other than this post, any of those posts fielding replies, either asking the detectorist if he turned them into a law enforcement agency, or makeing an issue of weather the rings were ever turned in to law inforement, or not. Nor did I read on those posts comments makeing negative comments for not doing so. NO, I only read congradulatory comments on the issue, such as "nice find", or "beautifull collection" and even "wow, you are one lucky dude". Do I find a problem with that? Not really. Just makeing the observation here, that there is two different attitudes on the issue, depending on the subject or slant of the original post.

My opinion, as to what I would do, or suggest, is 'both' scenario's work, depending on the find, location of find, and other factors. To expond on this; I ask Mrs Nice Lady, who lives down block, if I can search her front yard. She says "yes". While searching I find a ring, that has couple of diamonds that I beleive could be real. What would I do? Myself, I would inquire with her, if anyone in family lost a ring? If she said "no", I would keep it. If she said, "yes, my mother did "( or sister, brother, cousin ). I would ask her to describe it, or seek furthur info, keeping in mind, that until the information on lost ring is borne out, I would not consider it mine, until I am sure ring does not match info. Similar case as in a class ring. Read many posts here, where detectorists have found class rings and returned (always liked that idea). But just as many where detectorists have many class rings, in thier personal collections. Clear evidence that some people like to keep all they find. I personallly dont have a problem with either scenario. I believe its up to the individual detectorist. Keeping lost items, with no clear chance of finding original owner, I dont believe in most cases ( "most cases" could be another discussion), is wrong.
And, turning over a found item that was lost, is also not wrong. Its the finders call.

Same for items found on/in a beach. What might become a question, if you intend to find original owner, what is best way to search for original owner? Well several ways come to mind. Turn it into law enforcement, which also begs another question, which agency has jurisdiction?? Also, how do you protect your interest in the found item, should no owner be found or come forward? You should ask questions. What happens if no owner is found? Do I get it back? How long? How can I be sure that the police chiefs wife, daughter, or best friends wife wont claim it, in a bogus move to get the $5,000.00 ring? ( Hey, its happened!)

You can try to find the owner yourself. I had, and my wife had some bad luck with law enforcement on this issue ( items found not detecting), so I prefer the method of searching for original owner myself. In cases of class ring, as has been posted here, places to start is with the school class ring is from. With other rings, or items, the search is likely more lengthy and can generate some costs. Placeing ad in local paper, but this can generate costs. Asking questions of people near site of find. But this to is not has small chance of succes, as establishing time line of loss, who lived there, is sometimes impossible. In cases of beach losses of rings, and other items or jewelry, the loss could have happened years before, and since the loss may have been from people (tourists) passing thru area, ads in local paper in most cases will be fruitless.

Bottom line is, I dont think either act is wrong. Search if you are compelled to, or dont search for original owner. If you do the search, you are a good samaritan, especially if you find the owner. If you dont do a search, I dont think that makes you a thief, or a bad person. NOTE EXCEPTION: you are at the beach with your detector, and Mrs Nice Lady approachs you, and with tears in her eyes, tells you she just lost her wedding ring, her deceased husband gave her, and could you help her find it? You say "sure", and off you go to find it. After searching for a hour or so, she tells you that she as to leave, and tearfully giveing you her address on a piece of paper, she asks you to contact her should you find it. You tell her "sure". An hour after she leaves, you find a ring and it fits the description down to the huge diamond and 10 smaller diamonds. But it looks so good, you decide its worth more to keep, than any reward, or thank you she might offer. So it goes in your collection, and the paper with the owners address goes into trash!! Now thats wrong!!!

For me, and I take a risk here, offering this, If I find a class ring, I am going to make every reasonable effort to find owner. If I find rings on beach, I will make effort to find owner if possible. Example; I recently found a mens wedding band on a beach south of here.Its a heavily used beach in summer, seeing many tourists. How do I find owner?? Only option is to put ad in paper, but which one? How many times? And cost here for one small ad is not cheap. So what to do?? Inquire with local law enforcement agency, if any have been reported lost? Yes, I would rather do that , than turn over to them. Give them my name and address should someone inquire, is the option I would choose. But its the finders call, and concience that needs to be the factor in this.

One thing I am going to do, is to have cards made up, that offer services to find lost items, such as jewelry, to law enforcement, and to people who have lost valuble items. NO charge for doing so, only if it means long travel.

That is my take on lost items, and lost owners.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread