After a long day of quarters, one turns out silver!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
When I first got my detector in 2004, one of the early places I detected was a church camp that dates to the 1950's. Eight of my cousins had a grandfather on their fathers' side who gave the land for the camp back then, and it's always been convenient to their houses. We all grew up going to camp there, so I knew where things were, how people gathered, etc. Early on, it paid off in lots of wheats and quite a bit of silver. I'd have to look at my records, but I think my first two Walkers were found there on the same day; it was that kind of place. There is an area that, unfortunately, has been dramatically corrupted; back in the 1980's, some genius thought it'd be a good idea to cut down a beautiful picnic grove of oaks to sell the lumber. The character of the camp has never been the same, and the old grove has had utility lines installed and I really think someone else has detected it. I found two wheats in that area today, but have never found silver there. I went to several different parts of the camp today, hoping to find some silver I might have missed all those years ago. I did find a lot of coins that have been dropped since my initial hunts there; I netted almost $5 in clad today, plus 6 wheat pennies. Among the haul were at least 13 quarters; it seemed like I was reading 85, 86 and 87 all day! As it was getting dark, I got one last 87 and was disappointed again when it read 1.5". Hey, a quarter's a quarter, and it beats a zincoln, so I wasn't that distraught. Uncovering the target, I saw a shine right away, and knew this was not a quarter. There was a coin in a silver colored frame, and in the dusk I could make out that it's Italian. Is this what's called a bezel? Convinced that I'd finally struck silver at the end, I brought the piece home and cleaned it. Sure enough, inside the loop that holds the frame to a cord, it says "Italy" and "925." Not a quarter, but it's a nice piece of silver and I'm quite happy with it!

Attachments

• italianjob 001 (Small).jpg
    italianjob 001 (Small).jpg
    39 KB · Views: 69
  • italianjob 002 (Small).jpg
    italianjob 002 (Small).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 64
Upvote 0

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see there is a coin inside the bezel also. Have you looked it up? CARM

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions