After all these years, finally found two silvers in a row, plus other odds and ends

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been a long spell since I posted. I was gratified to be able to get out for a couple of hours today to hit a schoolyard I've been to many times. Nothing terribly special, but I quickly found a 1940 Merc with a wheatie in the same hole and then a 1952 Roosevelt dime in the very next hole I dug. I can't remember that ever happening before. Please let this be the first of many such occurrences.

Also hound a holed war nickel, a cheap little heart pendant, and an ES DEUS SPES NOSTRA button that certainly came off a 20th-cent. school blazer and not a Revolutionary War Hessian. Also found all in the same hole a bent-up bit of copper along with a short copper rod with three fairly sharp, fixed star shapes on it. Any idea what it might be from?

Thanks for looking and hope everyone is staying healthy and sane!

md1.jpg md2.jpg md4.jpg md3.jpg

Upvote 29

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the silver finds. Your rod is actually brass and it is part of the adjustment for the wick on an old oil lamp. It is missing the round disk on the end that usually has the patent dates. Beside it in the first pictures is the cap with a slot the wick fed through.

Stay safe and keep swingin.

OP
OP
rastinirv

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, TNT-hunter!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have always been a one hit wonder with silver 95% of my detecting career, so I can honestly feel your joy, but not many can say they’ve ever found a holed War Nickel. I have probably found over 50 war nickels in my 4 years of detecting. Nickels for some reason have always been my thing ( War, Buffs, V’s) so the holed War Nickel intrigues me and I think it’s very unique.

OP
OP
rastinirv

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I thought that was pretty unusual, too. And it's holed in an odd spot.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I thought that was pretty unusual, too. And it's holed in an odd spot.

True and it leaves me wondering questions like why was it holed to begin with? i’ve never seen any 1940’s coins holed or for that matter I’ve never seen any holed nickels.

And getting back to me rarely EVER finding more than 1 silver in a hunt when I did It was a reales spill in a 1915 park 1 holed 1787 and a 1806 half real lol weird!! That’s what I love about this hobby it allows you to have to wonder and not just Google the answer.

Adjustments.jpg Adjustments.jpg IMG_1268.jpg IMG_1263.jpg

Last edited:

EdHartzel

Jun 12, 2018
Bucks County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett GTI 2500, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That holed war nickle is a head scratcher! My father (who is 86) told me the old timers would hole their coins to not loose them. I’d imagine that 5c might have bought some young man- quite a bit of candy in 1944; and he followed his grandfather’s advice!!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice thread and appreciate the way you photographed your finds, sort of scattered about. Holed coins are popping up today...on another thread someone found a rare dime from 1809 with a hole in it. Only 52,000 or so had been minted...

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds, Congrats! Never seen a holed war nickel until this post- very cool!

OP
OP
rastinirv

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice thread and appreciate the way you photographed your finds, sort of scattered about. Holed coins are popping up today...on another thread someone found a rare dime from 1809 with a hole in it. Only 52,000 or so had been minted...

Yeah, I saw that one. It does make more sense to me that folks would hole them back in the 19th century and earlier in order to string them together; kind of how we keep folding money in billfolds today, but before there was little if any paper money.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you break the ice they will come much quicker Glad to see congrats

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the nice finds! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread