after permisson is gotten,be sure to re-get it!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been hunting a friends place for years in a pretty good area.There is a house on the other side of the dirt road surrounded by woods that I have always wanted to hunt.So I walked over there from where I park at my friends place and knock on the door.Guy comes to the door,I make some small talk about the area,the guy seeming nice enough gives me permission with the normal property line talk.So I hunt the place a few times pretty much eye distance from the house,waved too his wife driving down there driveway once.Thought everything was ok.'"man Was I wrong!".Last time I was there,I was not doing to good on one side of the woods,so I went to cross his driveway to get to other piece of woods and I here a bunch of screaming,"WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY:censored:YARD!"So feeling dumb founded,I walk over to his porch where he was standing,and explain to him that about a couple months ago he said it was ok if i hunted around his place.He went from being a nice guy, to a real prick, real fast in my book.I mean he was nasty about it!He claimed he never said I could do it,almost like he never seen me before.'I could understand if was a old senile man or something'. I told him I would not just walk across someones yard with a metal detector without asking:icon_scratch:and then gave him a little piece of my mind.later after I cooled down and thought about it,"I was in the wrong!'I should have knocked on the door and said hey.I mean if he wouldn't have said anything and just called the cops without me knowing,that would have been a trespassing charge for sure. "makes that in writing thing " not sound like so bad of a idea either. So be sure to stop by and let the property owner know every time you go,of course unless you know them well. happy diggin joe

Last edited:

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been hunting a friends place for years in a pretty good area.There is a house on the other side of the dirt road surrounded by woods that I have always wanted to hunt.So I walked over there from where I park at my friends place and knock on the door.Guy comes to the door,I make some small talk about the area,the guy seeming nice enough gives me permission with the normal property line talk.So I hunt the place a few times pretty much eye distance from the house,waved too his wife driving down there driveway once.Thought everything was ok.'"man Was I wrong!".Last time I was there,I was not doing to good on one side of the woods,so I went to cross his driveway to get to other piece of woods and I here a bunch of screaming,"WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY:censored:YARD!"So feeling dumb founded,I walk over to his porch where he was standing,and explain to him that about a couple months ago he said it was ok if i hunted around his place.He went from being a nice guy, to a real prick, real fast in my book.I mean he was nasty about it!He claimed he never said I could do it,almost like he never seen me before.'I could understand if was a old senile man or something'. I told him I would not just walk across someones yard with a metal detector without asking:icon_scratch:and then gave him a little piece of my mind.later after I cooled down and thought about it,"I was in the wrong!'I should have knocked on the door and said hey.I mean if he wouldn't have said anything and just called the cops without me knowing,that would have been a trespassing charge for sure. "makes that in writing thing " not sound like so bad of a idea either. So be sure to stop by and let the property owner know every time you go,of course unless you know them well. happy diggin joe

I use this, for hunting, trapping, fishing, rock hunting, or just as permission to cross the property, hard to argue with written permission! Sorry to hear he did not recall you, I also stop in and drop off homemade jams, jelly, all kinds of stuff I put up. I have been able to help out around the farm, and help catch poachers. Anyway, I use this form, you may see if your FWP has something similar and use it. IMG.jpg

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I absolutely agree. had that happen once too. I had talked to the owner about 3 times when I was there hunting,, they came out and talked to me. But the last time I went there they said they didn't want me on the property?

Found out later through another that some guys had just shown up and started digging, the owners thought I had sent them or something.

People make up their minds and don't explain themselves, not that they have to, but I don't like to burn bridges myself.

For the rest of us, Please get permission! ( and a written note is best, and carry it just in case the owner didn't even want to take the time to yell at you)

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I absolutely agree. had that happen once too. I had talked to the owner about 3 times when I was there hunting,, they came out and talked to me. But the last time I went there they said they didn't want me on the property?

Found out later through another that some guys had just shown up and started digging, the owners thought I had sent them or something.

People make up their minds and don't explain themselves, not that they have to, but I don't like to burn bridges myself.

For the rest of us, Please get permission! ( and a written note is best, and carry it just in case the owner didn't even want to take the time to yell at you)
Me personally would feel weird asking someone for "written permission",I never have!Game hunting ,relic hunting,fishing.I cant see myself saying thank you,now can I get it in writing?In my opinion it might make them think again,Why does he need written permission?Is what he is doing such a big deal he needs it in writing,or that was kind of rude,I take from my time, to talk to this person,give he or she permission to be on my property,and now wants me too sign something?I agree It is the smartest thing to do too legally protect oneself, but seems unfriendly, it is not for me.Hillbillyjoe does have a good way too approach it thow.

Last edited:

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me personally, I would never consider "permission" more than a one time deal. Once you come and go.....you need permission again unless otherwise stated on paper. To come and go a couple of months later without asking again was actually quite silly in my mind. Most people can't remember what they told you yesterday, let alone a month or two later. :)

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go with it filled out, and keep in in my hand when we talk, and I have done research ahead of time, have their name filled out if possible, and simply negotiate the activities and dates. I also explain that I want it to protect myself in case they have a ranch hand, or member of family stop and ask me what I am doing, if they say yes, I generally have some kind of home made goody in the truck to give them for letting me run around. It really is a good way to CYA. I have had to ask to hunt and fish private properties all my life, and found it is actually pretty easy, be ready to sit down and have coffee, when I go, I never plan on doing anything that day.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me personally, I would never consider "permission" more than a one time deal. Once you come and go.....you need permission again unless otherwise stated on paper. To come and go a couple of months later without asking again was actually quite silly in my mind. Most people can't remember what they told you yesterday, let alone a month or two later. :)
The more I hunt a place the more I learn about it,It takes longer then one day.Thats like telling someone you can fish a pond for one hour.whats the point?And its not like the guy never seen me out there,He must have been having a bad day:crybaby2:I did have a full beard at the time he ran me off,maybe he didn't recognize me?Eather way it doesn't matter.I found enough stuff on his place to make it worth his crazy.

Last edited:

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more I hunt a place the more I learn about it,It takes longer then one day.Thats like telling someone you can fish a pond for one hour.whats the point?And its not like the guy never seen me out there,He must have been having a bad day:crybaby2:I did have a full beard at the time he ran me off,maybe he didn't recognize me?Eather way it doesn't matter.I found enough stuff on his place to make it worth his crazy.

While your side of this issue is true......your side of the issue isn't the important one. If someone asked me permission to play soccer on my property one day I'd say sure go ahead. I would never consider this to mean play soccer on my property every day for the next 10 years. That's all I'm saying........people forget, change their minds, have different opinions etc. If you disappear for a while you need to re-associate with the person before you hunt again, it's just common courtesy. Even if you have paperwork. That's my opinion on the matter.

One thing that may also help, as someone said, is to bring them a gift here or there for their generosity. Maybe a pie, or even a couple cool finds you already have duplicates off. Anything that will embed you into their memory. Especially if it's a good spot!

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While your side of this issue is true......your side of the issue isn't the important one. If someone asked me permission to play soccer on my property one day I'd say sure go ahead. I would never consider this to mean play soccer on my property every day for the next 10 years. That's all I'm saying........people forget, change their minds, have different opinions etc. If you disappear for a while you need to re-associate with the person before you hunt again, it's just common courtesy. Even if you have paperwork. That's my opinion on the matter.

One thing that may also help, as someone said, is to bring them a gift here or there for their generosity. Maybe a pie, or even a couple cool finds you already have duplicates off. Anything that will embed you into their memory. Especially if it's a good spot!
You are right,I know it is good too show people what you are finding and offer them something,or at least knock on the door and say "hi,is it still ok"but i just didn't.I think some people have allot of privacy issues as well."I was in the wrong",I know.But he could have came at me a different way then yelling and screaming,acting like he never even told me I could,that's what blows my mind.He was nice enough to let me do it in the first place,so I guess I shouldn't say to much.

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All you can do is live and learn from the situation. Who knows, the guy may have a mental disorder. You don't want some crazy shooting you in the back some day right? Play safe :)

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Old thread, but I'll add my 2 cents worth here. Many have to remember that these people often have no clue of the effort or time involved that a thorough detection of a site can entail. If it turns out that it is so small that in a day or 2 it'll be done then just tell them it could take upwards of a week to cover your butt. I agree that more than one day of digging warrants written permission because one does not want the wife of that guy calling the police on you while the guy took a nap or even random police patrols stopping you if the owners step out. There's a myriad of circumstances that can arise long term even though you got verbal permission to dig one day. I told this to one that I asked to sign the written permission and he grew alarmed by the implications of signing a document. I had to explain that doing this is not a quick process, especially if it is to be done right and I don't want somebody calling the police or a random patrol questioning me why I am there as a person's conversation or word is not visible to anybody else. He then understood that this can take time to do right and nobody wants trouble for them or yourself. He still felt the papers were overkill and just told me that the simple answer was if I see his car there, then I can detect. Even still, this can't be assumed to extend for longer time periods and it is a good idea upon going there to detect that I knock and just inform him I intend to detect more that day. For all I know, he may say no because he's going out of town in a hour or he's having landscapers or some other type of contractors over. Talking is important even if you get a written permission as they may have reason to change their minds even if no fault of your own. That permission really is good at keeping you out of jail or paying a fine, but is not a guarantee of being able to detect as they own the property and can change their mind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread