After reading most of the posts!

comfortablynumb

Sep 8, 2009
NW Missouri
I splurged today and had the wife buy a roll of wheaties on e-bay (wanted guaranteed success!).

I've been combing the posts out here for quite some time, and it based on statistical success vs. risk/reward & throw in availability, it would seem that CRHing for nickels would be the most productive - in terms of "keepers."

I've just started my quest for halves, and after checking 10 different banks in a 40 mile area, exactly NONE had any halves. The tellers look at me as if I'm speaking greek when I ask for them. Only 2 branches have offered to order boxes for me, and one said the order would cost $2K if I ordered halves?!? Any expert opinions on what she was referring to?

I thought about starting with a box of pennies, but it seems nickels have a higher "keeper" rate.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
It depends on what you call "keepers". With pennies I get about 17% keepers, and others get up to 25% keepers. You can't get that on nickels.

But that is counting all copper pennies as keepers. If you only count wheats, then it drops dramatically. As for nickels, if you count pre 1960 then you have a lot of keepers, but the value is not there. they are worth 5 cents right now. They are cool to keep, but there is no value. If you count only silver nickels, it goes down significantly. To a RARITY. less than halves even.

So, it depends on what you want. the lower you set the bar, the more you'll get. Only silver? Halves do the best. Older coins? Nickels do best. Something of value above face value? Pennies do best, if you keep pre 1982.

To each his own. that's what makes it such a fun hobby.

As for me? I do a lot of pennies, keep the copper, and also do a lot of nickels (keep the 1960 and older) I also do a fair amount of halves, quarters and dimes, and each has its own return rate. Figure what you like, and concentrate there. :-)

The key to happy hunting is to make it something that makes you ... happy!

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd agree with what John said. I do like nickels though, because it's fun to find the occasional foreign coin, war nickel, buffalo, or even a V (I don't dare dream of finding a shield). Although...pennies are good too, because you could possibly find more errors and coins of value (I don't have the pleasure of owning a Rydale, so my sorting is done by hand). Indian Heads, wheats, yeah, pennies are good time. Cheap too.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

twinsrule

Dec 26, 2009
I agree with jrf too, pennies for copper and the occasional wheat, and nickels for older ones. I've never tried halves though, since they don't get them at our banks. I prefer pennies, for the copper, and wheats, and the price! (cheap!)
Whatever you want to do, its up to you though.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are looking for silver, dimes will be your best bet box after box. Pre-'60 nickel finds are abundant also. Wheat finds also seem to be consistant. My 2 cents. ffd

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Fistfulladirt said:
If you are looking for silver, dimes will be your best bet box after box. Pre-'60 nickel finds are abundant also. Wheat finds also seem to be consistant. My 2 cents. ffd

You really think this FFD? I have not done much as far as dimes go compared to halves, but I have yet to find more than 1 to 2 per box on a good day. Value wise it takes 5 of them to equal a 90%er.

Although the boxes here have been mostly crap for halves lately, when a decent box does hit it would bring my average way above what I have found with dimes.

I find with dimes it is too much stress on the eyes if I do more than one box at a time. I have to keep reminding myself there is no 40% dime since I am so used to doing halves and many of the dimes have that similar look as a 40% half rim. The good thing about dime boxes is every bank has them unlike halves.

Jim

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
jim4silver said:
Fistfulladirt said:

You really think this FFD? I have not done much as far as dimes go compared to halves, but I have yet to find more than 1 to 2 per box on a good day. Value wise it takes 5 of them to equal a 90%er.

Although the boxes here have been mostly crap for halves lately, when a decent box does hit it would bring my average way above what I have found with dimes.

I find with dimes it is too much stress on the eyes if I do more than one box at a time. I have to keep reminding myself there is no 40% dime since I am so used to doing halves and many of the dimes have that similar look as a 40% half rim. The good thing about dime boxes is every bank has them unlike halves.

Jim
Jim, I've been searching halves (boxes) for 2 years. Nothing but crap. I had ONE good box that gave me 25 40% and 8 90%. I don't order more than 4 boxes at a time, but it's also random. Skunks galore! It's a hobby for me, nothing more. Halves are no fun here.
Dimes on the other hand, have yet to let me down. If I order 10 boxes, I will normally get 25 or more silvers, equal to 5 90% halves. I can search 4 boxes of dimes in an hour.

ffd

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What the teller was implying is that they have a 4 box minimum for orders. $500 x 4 equals $2000.

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
enamel7 said:
What the teller was implying is that they have a 4 box minimum for orders. $500 x 4 equals $2000.
Dam I wish the banks here would try to discourage ME like that, most have a cow when I tell them its just as easy to carry 2 as 1 sos please can I have 2.
Also I have noticed on my extra curricular hunts when I ask for halves the tellers go for the gold dollars, and those do come in $2K boxes- make sure that you are getting 50 cent pieces ordered for you. HH Mark

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Fistfulladirt said:
jim4silver said:
Fistfulladirt said:

Jim
Jim, I've been searching halves (boxes) for 2 years. Nothing but crap. I had ONE good box that gave me 25 40% and 8 90%. I don't order more than 4 boxes at a time, but it's also random. Skunks galore! It's a hobby for me, nothing more. Halves are no fun here.
Dimes on the other hand, have yet to let me down. If I order 10 boxes, I will normally get 25 or more silvers, equal to 5 90% halves. I can search 4 boxes of dimes in an hour.

ffd

I don't know what you are talking about ??? You do live in the great state of Michigan Don't cha.

Halves is where the money is at.

Mojo

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I did 60 boxes of halves this month which is the most I have ever done. Very few skunks, but very few keepers, maybe 5-6 per box on average. To be quite frank,I'm tired of looking at JFK's profile,silver or clad.
Dimes to me are fun to do. I've done them all, boxes,handrolls, and bags. Handrolls seem to produce the most but you get a lot of foreign junk or short rolled. So in my opinion boxes are the way to go. I don't know what my average is on dimes, probably 1-3 per box with few skunk boxes. Every once in a while I'll get 5. Twice I've gotten more than 5 this year.
For a change I'll try a box of nickels. I'm just interested in the war nickels and Buffalo. I'll find them but doing a box makes my eyes go buggy.
I'm very tempted to do pennies. I really enjoy reading the posts on them. One of these days I'll give it a try.
HH
Rich

OP
OP
comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb

Sep 8, 2009
NW Missouri
Thanks for all for the wonderful feedback. I also appreciate the info on a "minimum" order. That makes sense.

I think after it's all said and done, pennies may be the best way for me to start. I have 4 old Whitman's $0.01 that are all incomplete. I would like to get them "mostly complete" I think that was my main intent in purchasing a wheatie roll in the first place - to see if I can get any that I'm missing in the book, but also to see if the seller would be a good source for some of the larger purchases he has advertised.

When hearing each of your points of view, I can see that nickels may not be the best (ROI).

I really enjoy reading all your posts. I can literally "feel" the excitement you all experience when you score a good roll! Thanks for the forum & the feedback!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread