May 8, 2015
Detroit, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 2 with carbon fiber shaft and upgrades
Minelab Vanquish 540(won it!)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick stop at a park after work, needed a little relaxation before heading home. The park is near work in Detroit. I only covered a small area maybe 20 x 20. So many signals it took 3.5 hours. Probably never been hunted. Most of the stuff was 2 inches or less below the ground

Got my first key and first spoon ever.
8 quarters, 2 dimes, 44 pennies $2.64
Part of a utility knife
Costume jewelry - a giant P with crystals, part of an earring, a thin bangle.

I am stumped why I did not find any nickels, I am going to bring some I found before and test how they sound and read there. I never got a nickel reading.

I did find junk too which is not pictured - 2 plastic lighters, bottle caps x many, some wire , a phone charger, and various metal pieces.

Love my Garrett AT Pro and pinpointer. 1487431_10204259902328272_3263816628558954263_n.jpg

Upvote 7
That's a bit odd - that you would get the high conductors but no nickels - were there any pulltabs ?

someone likley cherry picked gold range tones.at pro is a nickle magnet

Yep, they gotta be there before one can find 'em. ;) But, your taking some samples along is the single best way to learn what might be different there.

WTG!

Any pop tops or bottle caps?

Like they said probably, notched out, hiding under something, or not there.

Nice bunch of finds!

if you got "pull tabs" notched out ...you will not find nickles or some gold items either...since all 3 items --pull tabs , nickles and some gold items basically fall in the same detection zone .."range"..

Strange that you wouldn't have a nickel signal. Whenever I hunt a park more than half of the signals I get are nickel signals. Everything rings up near there.

looks like your on a good spot.... stick with it!

Run it on full sensitivity in the Pro all metal option, and you will dig nickles. As said by Sgt. Claddy, ATPro's VDI for Jefferson nickles is 51-52, (undamaged) Lincoln cents usually 75-80, dimes 80-81, quarters 84-87, for the most part on modern clad. They will be there, have fun digging. Sub 8-)

no pulltabs

I run pro zero, iron 37. nothing notched out. I don't find may nickels anywhere.

I run pro zero, iron 37. nothing notched out. I don't find may nickels anywhere.

Your post got me thinking. I have all the clad I found in the last four or five days piled on my bar.

$11.75 in quarters

$4.30 in dimes

$.81 in pennies (I think my beach got seeded)

$.20 in nickels

I've never found a buffalo, shield or V nickel. I think ten or eleven war nickels.

Huh. I don't find many nickels either.

Last edited:
I dig everything that sounds solid

Weird ,maybe it was cherry picked . You should at least get a pulltab. On the pro, it can vary ,if it's a newer one ,it's usually always a 53. I've had Nickles 50-53, buffalo being the 50-51 range. Good job :thumbsup:

I vote for cherry picked all-ready :headbang:

If it were cherry picked you would find the nickels and the high signals would be gone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back