After working today I needed some Sloans Liniment.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
After working today I needed some Sloan's Liniment.

I didn't intend to go bottle digging today; I was minding my own business, trying to put my back yard back together and ran my detector over an excavated spot before I filled it in. I got a huge signal and dug; I pulled out what appears to be one of those rectangular cast door lock/knob assemblies. It was pretty rusty, and had bits of glass stuck to it. I noticed that there were shards left behind in the hole as well. I started to poke around (gently, of course) and immediately started uncovering lots of broken glass. There were pieces of aqua canning jars, including late 19th century, broken bimal, pottery, you name it. Finally, I spotted what appeared to be an intact bottle; it turned out to be a clear Sloan's Liniment, pretty early. Next, what I always hope for - Blue. This time it was Bromo Seltzer; machine made but pre-threaded lid. Third, another clear bimal and I couldn't believe the embossing: Holy Water, with a cross. I'm not Catholic and didn't realize Holy Water came in a special bottle. Finally, I snagged another Bromo. The first had Baltimore, the second added the MD. I have several other Bromos but these are special (no screw on lids)! I have some more exploring to do and I don't have to worry what the owner will think!

Attachments

• backyardbottles 001 (Small).jpg
    backyardbottles 001 (Small).jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 100
  • backyardbottles 002 (Small).jpg
    backyardbottles 002 (Small).jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 102
  • backyardbottles 003 (Small).jpg
    backyardbottles 003 (Small).jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 109
  • backyardbottles 004 (Small).jpg
    backyardbottles 004 (Small).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 8

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep digging man...love the sloans, but I have a personal hatred for bromo's...and a new growing hatred for "shortstop for coughs"..there is bound to be much ..much more there

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nothing better than doing the yard work and digging for some old glass at the same time. The Holy Water bottle is a cool one never found one before, then again R/R construction sites and that one would a rare find. :)
Good old Sloan's "good for man and beast" what a pitch.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those blue ones really do have appeal, don't they? Beautiful. Wish I could contribute more but I know nothing about glass. I think I will ask my mom if Dad's old bottle books are still around somewhere.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Say, I do remember using that stuff. Really I think it was a horse lintiment

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good ol Bromo seltzer. THats stuff really worked well! Knocked a sour gut clean out

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread