Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just the 8 inch donut right now.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then first suggestion is the 5.75 concenric.
The large DD coil that comes in the three pack I rarely ever use.
How is your soil where you are?
In badly mineralized soil people can find better performance from the DD coils because they "see" less of a crosssection of the ground as a concentric by design. But concentric discriminate way better in my experience and better in iron. But if your ground is bad, then you may need DD. If the donut runs well and stable then concentric will work with your ground.

But definitely the 5.75 for more littered and iron infested areas.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My all time favorite coils are the 8" donut and the 5.75 concentric. The mojave 7" coil is another good one but I've had awesome results with the 8" and the 5.75 :-)

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used the 8X9 and the 8" donut a lot on the same machines and find no advantage in one over the other. I like the donut as it hangs up in tall grass or brush less, but depth resuts are pretty much equal.
luvsdux

bleeohio

Apr 8, 2017
Nw ohio
Detector(s) used
This space for rent...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big fan of the stock 9x8 on grass but I find myself using the nel sharpshooter coil most of the time.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II ÎĽMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 8” and 5.75” concentrics are probably all you’ll ever need on any 5 pin, land Tesoro. They’re the two I like the best everywhere I usually go hunting. My Outlaw and/or Bandido always wears one of those, and I usually have the other along as well, on a spare detector. 8” for general use and good coverage, 5.75” for trashier spots.

The Mojave comes with the 7” concentric which is another great coil, but it’s right in between the 8 and 5.75. Since you have 8” already, save your money and get only the 5.75.

I suggest using the concentrics for best discrimination. I only use a DD/widescan where I expect -highly- mineralized soil, or just plan on digging everything. Only real advantage a DD has over a concentric (on a Tesoro) is beter ground coverage. Discrimination always works better with the concentric, depth will be close the the same with either.

BTW - I found the CORS Fortune I had to be no deeper than Tesoro’s coils and no more sensitive, but slightly heavier to swing for its size. Nothing magic or special with the NEL/CORS, but I never tried the bigger ones.

Francisbmp

Jun 26, 2018
Yukon, OK Soon to be Blacksburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought an Outlaw and the 3 coil pack last year. I love the 12" DD coil. It covers a lot of ground, and as for pinpointing, I can usually ID targets at the top center of the coil. I guess the soil in Oklahoma isn't very mineralized, but I am surprised that so many people don't like them.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II ÎĽMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought an Outlaw and the 3 coil pack last year. I love the 12" DD coil. It covers a lot of ground, and as for pinpointing, I can usually ID targets at the top center of the coil. I guess the soil in Oklahoma isn't very mineralized, but I am surprised that so many people don't like them.

I don’t dislike the DD, just like the concentrics more. Try discriminating out bottlecaps with that DD, while still getting nickels.. Good luck. You can do it with the concentrics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread