Aftermarket Coil Advice

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have read that the best coil for a detector is the one it comes with. I swing the F75 LTD SE (upgraded) and am asking for advice from others that use the F75. What coil would you buy as a present from the wife? I have the green light to buy a coil for $200. My passion is coin shooting. The 9x11 DD coil is what I have swung for the past 12 months. I do have the 5" DD, but never had the need to use it.

shadowulf

Apr 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The machine is usually adjusted to the coil it comes with. But that is usually a fine tuning adjustment by the techs. An approved replacement coil will usually give "acceptable" performance without the need for fine tuning.

What are you looking for, or need to improve, in a new coil? The threads are full of different opinions on different conditions. The 5" you have is a pretty good totlot/trashy area coil. The 10" concentric IDs better, but is not as deep as the 11" DD you have. The NEL sharpshooter and Hunter coils do better with EMI, but if you updated the F75, that should be less of an issue.

So what are you looking for in a new coil?

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The machine is usually adjusted to the coil it comes with. But that is usually a fine tuning adjustment by the techs. An approved replacement coil will usually give "acceptable" performance without the need for fine tuning.

What are you looking for, or need to improve, in a new coil? The threads are full of different opinions on different conditions. The 5" you have is a pretty good totlot/trashy area coil. The 10" concentric IDs better, but is not as deep as the 11" DD you have. The NEL sharpshooter and Hunter coils do better with EMI, but if you updated the F75, that should be less of an issue.

So what are you looking for in a new coil?

I would like a little more depth without mounting a 15" coil and would like better ID's without going to a concentric coil and maybe some target separation improvement. As you can tell I want my cake and eat it too. Any suggestions? What coil would you want your spouse to by you?

I do all kinds of hunting, fields, woods, cellar holes, public parks, sports fields, and private property. As stated in my original post, I am mainly a coin shooter and hunt older home sites and parks. Never ran into an extremely trashy area so the 5" coil has never been needed yet. I may use it to get in between the flowers and shrubs on the site I am currently hunting.

Last edited:

shadowulf

Apr 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I believe you are not "fully armed" without a good DD and a good concentric in your quiver. Both have there positives depending on the situation. If you don't have hot ground, the 10" conc IDs bottle caps better and runs pretty smooth. If you have moderate to low mineralization, it would be a good choice.

I've read that the 13" tornado coil works well. And is a little deeper than the 11". If you didn't have the 11", the NEL Hunter would make sense. As deep as the 11" with better shielding to noise.

And another option, how are you set for pinpointing? The Sun ray FX-1 probe works off the F75's electronics and is hard to loose. I've been looking to get one for my F70. Basically a 1" coil to find what the machine saw.

Hope I didn't cloud the water for you. You just have 2 good coils and don't seem to need much else.

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I believe you are not "fully armed" without a good DD and a good concentric in your quiver. Both have there positives depending on the situation. If you don't have hot ground, the 10" conc IDs bottle caps better and runs pretty smooth. If you have moderate to low mineralization, it would be a good choice.

I've read that the 13" tornado coil works well. And is a little deeper than the 11". If you didn't have the 11", the NEL Hunter would make sense. As deep as the 11" with better shielding to noise.

And another option, how are you set for pinpointing? The Sun ray FX-1 probe works off the F75's electronics and is hard to loose. I've been looking to get one for my F70. Basically a 1" coil to find what the machine saw.

Hope I didn't cloud the water for you. You just have 2 good coils and don't seem to need much else.

I live in North Central Ohio, mild dirt. I almost bought a probe, but going from a 2.9 lb F4 with a DD to the F75 3.5 lbs is enough increase in weight. I could swing the 2.9 lb F4 all day. I am about wore out after 6 hrs swinging the 3.5 lb F75. The probe does provide a better tool to find what your looking for since it won't beep on all metals like the pro pointer, but again, trying to keep the weight down.

I appreciate your input and was looking at both coils you mentioned. Do you use either?

shadowulf

Apr 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 10x5 DD, the 10" conc and the 6.5x4 "football" conc. I have the tall man's lower rod and usually run the 10x5 on it. Being I'm in a high iron area, I now have the little football coil on to punch through the trash.

I also use a pistol probe for pinpointing.

I understand about the weight. But after destroying 2 cheap pinpointers and twice repairing the pistol probe, I'm thinking about the FX-1 more seriously.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I look at after market coils like after market "anything". Some people accept their car stereo's. But we know that after market one's can usually blow away stock units. My NEL Sharpshooter is definitely made with a better quality makeup than any FTP coil made. It is also a tad heavier.

After markets are not magic. They really just "fill in" areas between the manufacturers coil choices most of the time. I'd never buy a 16" X 18" DD coil myself. That's just too big. But a 5" Sharp from NEL sure is less expensive than the 5" from FTP. And seems made better. The NEL Sharpshooter is a bit smaller than the flagship 11" DD from FTP. The Hunter is a bit larger. I can see people opting for one or the other NEL if they don't have a 11" DD. But getting a Sharpshooter or Hunter when you have the 11" DD is a waste of money to me. They are not any deeper.

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I look at after market coils like after market "anything". Some people accept their car stereo's. But we know that after market one's can usually blow away stock units. My NEL Sharpshooter is definitely made with a better quality makeup than any FTP coil made. It is also a tad heavier.

After markets are not magic. They really just "fill in" areas between the manufacturers coil choices most of the time. I'd never buy a 16" X 18" DD coil myself. That's just too big. But a 5" Sharp from NEL sure is less expensive than the 5" from FTP. And seems made better. The NEL Sharpshooter is a bit smaller than the flagship 11" DD from FTP. The Hunter is a bit larger. I can see people opting for one or the other NEL if they don't have a 11" DD. But getting a Sharpshooter or Hunter when you have the 11" DD is a waste of money to me. They are not any deeper.

Thanks for your input Phantasman, I respect your opinion. Maybe I ought to purchase some waders or a wet suit since a couple months ago I purchased a 1280X Aquanaut and plan on doing some water detecting in local state park beaches, local swimming holes and up on Lake Erie.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for your input Phantasman, I respect your opinion. Maybe I ought to purchase some waders or a wet suit since a couple months ago I purchased a 1280X Aquanaut and plan on doing some water detecting in local state park beaches, local swimming holes and up on Lake Erie.

I spent the first 7 years of my life close to Lake Erie. Born in Akron, Ohio and lived in Elyria and close to Sandusky. The lake used to wash up some neat stuff. I always wondered what could be buried in it. Good luck.:occasion14:

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I work in Elyria:thumbsup: Small world

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well folks I pulled the trigger on a 15"x12" SEF Butterfly Search Coil. I have cleaned up some permissions with the 9 x 11 coil and want to see what deeper treasures are in the ground. I am also looking forward to field hunting with this monster coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread