Agate cast of coral and shells?

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found this on one of my many gravel bar hunts in Northwestern Missouri. I do believe this is an Agate that somehow was casting material to coral and shell. Any ideas on how this occurred?

100_0865.JPG

100_0864.JPG

100_0863.JPG

100_0862.JPG

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
yup, coral. nice find. I'm sure Harry will be able to be more specific. I've yet to find a piece (except in a rock shop) but I know we have it here in SEMO also.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to be a fossil impression in limestone.

OP
OP
BadAdze

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats what i was thinking Gatorboy, and i know its hard to tell from photos. This composition is extremely hard and really looks like banded Agate. Can you describe limestone a little for me? In the meantime ill try to find a comparison.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its basically ancient sea floor.its a sedimentary rock..mostly calcium carbonate and skeletons of sea organisms. When the silica skeletons of those organisms gather in thick enough layers the silica replaces the limestone... then you have what's known as Flint or chert. Not exactly.. but kind of... you could say it's agatized limestone.

Last edited:

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Its basically ancient sea floor.its a sedimentary rock..mostly calcium carbonate and skeletons of sea organisms. When the silica skeletons of those organisms gather in thick enough layers the silica replaces the limestone... then you have what's known as Flint or chert. Not exactly.. but kind of... you could say it's agatized limestone.

Chert/flint is also a sedimentary rock -- one of "the silicates." Silica dioxide from the dissolved skeletons of marine organisms is in solution in water within the sea-bottom. This SiO[SUB]2 [/SUB]tends to collect and settle out in lenses of cryptocrystalline quartz -- chert or flint. Silica doesn't replace the sea-bottom mud (eventually limestone), it pushes aside or engulfs some of the soft sediments.

In Florida, these lenses of chert occur in the Late Eocene and Late Oligocene limestone as rounded "bisquit-shapes" or sometimes as flattened dumbell shapes. They may weight several thousand pounds. This chert usually includes skeletons or molds of marine animals, commonly foraminifers.

Most of the chert from North Florida is called Coastal Plain Chert by Native American artifact collectors. This chert is of uneven quality for knapping because the chert often fractures along the line of any larger inclusion. Better quality silicate material may be found in an area around Tampa Bay where large coral heads may be replaced by chalcedony . . . technically, becoming "pseudomorphs after coral."

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
love the chalcedony...found a good amount this past weekend...and yes it was cold..not suwannee cold ,but cold...ps there are 2 coral heads in the pics..didnt want to confuse

DSC08107.jpg

DSC08123-1.jpg

DSC08121-1.jpg

DSC08121.jpg

DSC08120.jpg

DSC08118.jpg

DSC08113.jpg

DSC08112.jpg

DSC01362.jpg

DSC01236.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread