Agate

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this rock at the river. It has an interesting faceted face. I cut it in half and discovered some nice pink agate. Pink agate? Iā€™ve never seen it before. A surprise for central IL. Iā€™ll see if I can make a cabochon out of it.
IMG_4199.jpeg
IMG_4198.jpeg
IMG_4200.jpeg
IMG_4201.jpeg

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The glacier was like a bulldozer pushing a huge amount of rock. The ā€œbulldozerā€ just happened to stop in my neighborhood and left me a lot of rock from up north to look at. Tamrock was probably right. A one in a million and Iā€™ll never find another.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I decided to flip it over from the above pic. I think the color will change as I take it thinner. Itā€™s not consistent through and through. Iā€™m afraid Iā€™m going to lose some of the pink.

IMG_4242.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 3

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beatiful lapidary job and really unique. I don't know if it would be considered an agate either. It looked like a pretty hard stone. I looked at various polished stromatilite fossils and they have a wide variety of patterns, but not generally that color. My hunch would be it's some fossilized coral type living organism from and ancient sea that lived many millions of years ago. I'm thinking it be pretty hard to determine where all those rocks in the glacier alluvium originated that got spread all over the upper Midwest. Only the hardest of stones could've survived all that.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is definitely a potpourri in the glacial till. I find new stuff every time out there. Itā€™s hard enough trying to figure out the igneous and sedimentary rocks and then you throw in all the metamorphic and it gets confusing. Itā€™s both an amateurs dream and nightmare combined.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread