Age/Use of Buckle?

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd appreciate any information on this buckle. Thanks!
attachment.php

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro-Pointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a fairly modern buckle. My guess would be from the early 1800's to the early 1900's

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a fairly modern buckle. My guess would be from the early 1800's to the early 1900's

lol we consider that old around here in western ny

Upvote 0

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, vldetecting! What makes you say that?

Because I noticed the size of it and thought that it may be a horse tack buckle, it probably is. And then I looked through my catalogs of buckles but those had only information about buckles from the ca 1000 to the late 1700's and I couldn't find a match of your buckle there and I've found buckles looking like yours too dated to be ca 1800's :)

Upvote 0

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol we consider that old around here in western ny

Haha yeah, I didn't mean modern modern but where I live it's considered that from maybe 1830's/1840's to today is considered modern to some artifacts :)

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha yeah, I didn't mean modern modern but where I live it's considered that from maybe 1830's/1840's to today is considered modern to some artifacts :)

Yup, I'm super jealous of the potential everyone in europe has just swinging a detector anywhere.

Upvote 0

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, I'm super jealous of the potential everyone in europe has just swinging a detector anywhere.

Well, I live in one part of my country that has the least amount of history just because of the bad farming field here but I've detected on a relatives farm that has some extremely special soil. I've detected there for about six times and I've found for example a bronze ring dated from c. 500 B.C to 600 A.D and a few other pieces of really old medieval iron. And I'm very lucky cause that farmfield has not been used for c. 150 years or so so there's not much trash at all and the soil never seem to really move so the ring I found actually layed under a stone one inch deep in the ground believe it or not. So some places here in Sweden are really rich on finds and some are just empty of finds.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread