AI Pro VDI

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
s.c. shooter, it will depend on the size of the platinum object/ring. Size plays into it, for any type metal.

Example: If you wave an entire aluminum can, notice the VDI will read quarter or whatever. Right ? Ok now cut out a small snippet of the can (or just use the tab), and wave that. Notice the VDI is now down at nickel or tab or whatever. Right ? BUT WAIT! The composition of each object was exactly the same: Aluminum.

So too will it be with platinum: size of the object will play into the resultant VDI. But you can assess the size of the object, per the VDI, to make educated guesses. For example, using the aluminum can example: Obviously the person who gets the quarter signal, would suspect it's not a quarter, because the size is too big (assuming they have a machine which gives VCO type graduated scales of size, versus a beep-or-no-beep type machine. )

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom is 100 spot on. When I'm using my AT Pro, I try not to focus on the VDI as much I do tone. But curiosity usually gets me and I dig it anyway lol. Except foil scraps, those are easy to pass by.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread