AIIIIEEE!!! GREEN SKUNK!!!! 2/1/07 Box.....gee I am sooo excited....not...

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
A whole lotta nothing this go-round.

So I took a picture of the dreaded GREEN KENNEDYS!!!!:

2ed36mq.jpg

Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boooo! St. Paddy's Day isn't for another six weeks, tell those green JFK's to hit the road!

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
MalteseFalcon said:
A whole lotta nothing this go-round.

So I took a picture of the dreaded GREEN KENNEDYS!!!!:

2ed36mq.jpg

I know that cleaning coins is typically not something you want to do, but there are times for less valuable ( potentially bullion coins) where removing that bluish green crud will allow you to verify the date of a coin.

Anyone have any tried and true recipes (warm soapy water does nothing) you could suggest ?

Thanks much.

prizm II

Dec 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites prizm II
Check out the "Cleaning & Preservation" Forum here at TreasureNet. There is a ton of info to learn by reading different Forums here. I came to learn about Metal Detecting and found Coin Roll Hunting. The internet is the Library!!!

OP
OP
MalteseFalcon

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
And of course, in this case, there was nothing whatsoever worth saving.
I am assuming that they originally were all in the same roll, as there were quite a few overall out of this box that had some kind of greenish corrision like that.

I have had several boxes where lotsa halves had similar toning, discoloring, etc.

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
OH MY GOD!!! Its the green creeping crud. YOU DIDN'T TOUCH THOSE DID YOU. Oh well your OBIT will read 'another CRHer bites the dust. ;D ;D

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Better yet, I've got some (likely bullion) halves in soaking WD40...to see if I can retrieve a date and/or mintnmark

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE SunRay X-1
Haha, a few of those look just like the ones I rolled up and cashed in about 2 years ago. Metal detecting
finds...and they were ugly :)

Probably not, but it could be where the absolutely horrible ones come from... the ground does bad bad things
to non-silver coinage.

Hoping you get lots of shiney silver next time !

Good luck !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions