Air Tests Are Over-emphasised in Importance!!

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since joining this forum, I've noticed that a lot of people, experienced MDers and newbies, put way too much importance in air tests of their machines. The only info a air test gives you is, "Yep! This machine works." Even the Jetco Mustang passed an air test.

The only true measure of a good machine is how far into the ground its electromagnetic field will produce eddy currents in metallic objects / particles that will cause a circuit imbalance--this while tuning out extraneous soil situations. To choose one of these able machines, read evaluations of different manufacturers' products made by owners. Look at the design parameters and what uses the engineers meant for their units. Decide how much money you can invest in our HOBBY; then go for it.

Using a detector "in the field" is the only true path to enlightenment. That means, what machine "feels good" to you. If you don't quite like the first unit you buy; trade it back in on a different make or model. And try THAT one. You will find your own "comfort zone" as to which manufacturer you like and trust and which model you can succeed with.

Does this sound like a lot of hassle for a hobby? Maybe. But consider this. Do you have a favorite car brand? Major appliances for your home? If you work as a craftsman--there's some brand of tools that you will use above all others. (when I worked as a bodyman at a trucking company, I chose MAC brand body hammers because they just felt right in the hand)
If you're going to invest a couple of hundred dollars, or more, in a detector, then you can certainly try to find the unit that feels "just right".

How to do that? Try renting different makes. If your local detector dealer doesn't have rentals, buy a used machine instead of new. A dealer who handles several brands will come into possession of used units fairly regularly. Once you've found a brand you like, save up and buy new later. And PLEASE buy from the dealer who has been helping you. There are some folks who wring-out a local dealer, then order from a mailorder discount seller. Don't be surprised if you decide to keep "dancing" with the used unit that brung you into the hobby. The best find I've made in 35 years was done with an old, metal bodied Silver Sabre that I'd borrowed from a friend.

Above all--don't put any value at all in those stupid air tests. They're a waste of emf.

Just my never humble opinion.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Well written.

I'm not sure they serve NO good purpose besides making sure the machine makes noise, but do agree that they do NOT represent field conditions at all. I think the greatest problem is most folks only test with a variety of coins, a gold ring maybe, and some common junk (brand new nail, maybe a full tab... ) which as we all know is almost nuthing compared to what we actually "detect" under the earth's surface.

I'd like to hear what the people who have "test gardens" think... as compared to air tests. I have never made a test garden where I actually bury objects.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread