Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still very new to prospecting and information gathering. This past week I've been mapping out the locations of all the mines I can find and whether they were placer or ore mines for Georgia and Alabama. I've just started so I only have a few so far. As I'm doing this and looking at google earth I'm having questions.

Is it possible or has anyone found locations that they feel were mines that were never documented?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Mineral Resources Data System will help but you should be aware that it is not very inaccurate. We use the MRDS as one of several sources when we make maps and we have found that about 70% of the locations are either duplicates or are off in their location by over a mile.

Also be aware that Google Earth is not very accurate either. Together they will help you be aware of mines in an area but they will not pinpoint any more than about 10% of the mines displayed.

Happy Hunting :thumbsup:

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will kind of show you the "gold belt" in GA but most of the mines were placer mines.
There really aren't many "hard rock" or deep mines for gold, as you are probably thinking about.
So, there are 30 - 50 foot pine trees growing where someone was placer mining way back then.
Also don't forget that if it was a load mine (digging out rock and crushing it) you'll not be able to work it for gold anyway.
In GA that is considered surface mining and requires permitting and a $1200 / acre bond retained by the state.

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for the info! I now have somewhat of A map of some of the old mines!

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
If you click below it should open the Georgia locations in google earth. You can then click on the reports for each mine to see what type of mine and other info.

Attachments

• mrds-Georgia-Gold.kmz
    23.5 KB · Views: 113

Randeecobra

Greenie
Jan 2, 2011
Calhoun, GA
Detector(s) used
Lobo
Nitric.

New to the state. Moved into Lawrenceville one month ago from Maricopa Arizona. I spent a fruitless year searching for gold in the Estrella Mountain Range on a quad with pick, shovel and metal dectector and portable sluce. Sold everything including the quad before I moved to Georgia.

In that year of prospecting I found nothing other than a great time in a beautiful inviroment.

I am very iinterested in looking for gold in Georgia so feel free to reach out to me. I'm not opposed to buying all the equipment once again and spending time looking once again. Oh, I held onto the dectector. I'm not completely crazy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread