aldee2012

Jan 7, 2017
DeLand Florida
Detector(s) used
Makro Kruzer
Vulcon 360
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I must live in the worst state for Detecting, my god i have made at least 20 calls today to find out where I can or cannot Metal Detect, most of the time i was told to call this one then, that one, I have called The forestry Dept. the Conservation Dept, local Law enforcement, local State Agencies, the TVA and others to no avail, I have given up I am so sick of this state and the City I live in. I even called the Historical society to see if they could tell me any where local, all I got was the runaround with them as well, I am trying to make sure I don't break any state or local laws, but this is ridiculous, I Retired about two years ago, that is when i decide to Metal Detect for a hobby, I am about to give up, can't get a straight answer from anyone, I am just so mad at This State right now.

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Private property. Simple.

Che Guevara

Jan 8, 2017
Moscow
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can only sympathize with such difficulties to search detectors, we have the law too difficult, but to search much simpler and there is no stiffness to private(property)territories...but also sometimes angry account.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The internet has been around for quite sometime now. All towns in my area, state parks, metro parks, and others have websites. On their websites they have links to their ordinances, park rules, etc. Use the computer to find the info you seek. I did have to write one metro park agency since the rules stated that metal detecting is prohibited without permission, the problem is they do not mention anything regarding how one gets permission.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well now where do I begin?

Don't call anyone again
I went to my city website, emailed the city attorney and was told parks are public and ok if I didn't cause anyone to complain.
So, fill your holes, take trash with you and generally be a good citizen

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BTW, now I assume all public property is legal and have never had a problem ( well I stay off of well tended lawns)

RonnieR

Tenderfoot
Dec 1, 2016
Priceville, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Aldee2012, welcome and I know what you mean. In our area, TVA is everywhere. Up to just a few years ago they issued detecting licenses. Had to go to the public safety office in Sheffield. For some reason they quit issuing. Any parks, landings, and swimming holes are all on TVA property. I haven't been up to Athens yet but around Decatur the public parks are open to coin shooting but most of the skirmishes took place on what is now TVA or railroad property. I am now looking for old roads and knocking on doors along routes between Gadsden and Decatur.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I must live in the worst state for Detecting, my god i have made at least 20 calls today to find out where I can or cannot Metal Detect, most of the time i was told to call this one then, that one, I have called The forestry Dept. the Conservation Dept, local Law enforcement, local State Agencies, the TVA and others to no avail, I have given up I am so sick of this state and the City I live in. I even called the Historical society to see if they could tell me any where local, all I got was the runaround with them as well, I am trying to make sure I don't break any state or local laws, but this is ridiculous, I Retired about two years ago, that is when i decide to Metal Detect for a hobby, I am about to give up, can't get a straight answer from anyone, I am just so mad at This State right now.

aldee2012, how are you wording your requests to all those layers of bureaucrats ? Eg.:

1) "Can I metal detect in the park ?"

2) "Is there any prohibitions on the use of metal detectors @ such & such park ?"

3) "Where can I find a list of the laws/rules regarding the park usage ?"

If it was something akin to #1
, then welcome to the "no one cared UNTIL you asked" psychology. Eg.: a pencil pusher's tendency to give CYA "safe" answers . Because perhaps they envisioned geeks with shovels. It's a form of asking permission (as if permission were needed, since your activity is so loathsome and dangerous that it needs someone's blessing). But if something's not dis-allowed (like flying frisbees for instance), then why does it "need permission" ?

If it was #2 : That's an improvement of wording. Because it would *seem* to put the burden on them to CITE any such rule (if one truly existed). And if they have nothing specifically addressing md'ing (eg.: a specific prohibition), then they'd be forced to answer your question that there's nothing that says "no md'ing". HOWEVER, all-too-often people trying this improved way of wording still run into bugs: Whomever you're asking can still say something silly. Like: "No because you can't dig". Or "No because of harvest and remove clauses". Or "No because we think it bothers the earthworms", etc..... Thus again, you'd have been the victim of no-one-cared-till-you-asked psychology.

If it was #3:That's the best. Because then rather than subjecting yourself to someone's whims, opinions, and bad-hair days, you look it up for yourself. If you see nothing there saying "no metal detectors", then presto, it's not prohibited. You could even have looked online for yourself (Ie.: don't even have to call or talk to anyone) . As most public agencies (city park's dept's, county parks, state parks, etc...) have on-line websites, with their ordinances, rules, etc... all clearly spelled out. Eg.: no dogs allowed, park closes at 10pm, etc...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
And as for historical societies, be aware that a lot of them are staffed with archie minded people. Who might BRISTLE at the notion of md'ing. Nor are they authorized to be telling people where they can and can't md (from a legal perspective). That's simply not the job of a historical society. They're great for researching where old parks, campgrounds, stage stops, etc... were. But for legal access to any particular parks, places, etc..., that's outside their say-so and purpose.

aldee2012: It seems you're waiting around for express allowances . Eg.: As if there's going to be express rule or a sign saying "Metal detecting allowed here" type thing. It doesn't work that way. You don't need an express allowance to md. Anymore than you need an express allowance to skip stones on the pond, or whatever. If the rules are silent on the subject (no prohibitions), then that's sufficient.

HOWEVER, if you're talking manicured turf, just be aware that .... whether or not md'ing is "mentioned" in print , doesn't mean that someone might not gripe. Because they don't know you're going to be neat and leave no trace. So, like nose-picking: You need to pick discreet low traffic times for manicured turf.

And also: even if you found no specific prohibition, you should still use common sense not to go tromping on historic sensitive monuments. But for run-of-mill parks, beaches, forests, etc....: Me thinks that you're way over-thinking this.

OP
OP
A

aldee2012

Jan 7, 2017
DeLand Florida
Detector(s) used
Makro Kruzer
Vulcon 360
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have done a lot of research and my local Parks and Recreation, did get back to me, I was told There is no Metal Detecting in the Parks, so i look up the City laws and regulation for Parks and Recreation, there are no laws or regulations stating you can not metal Detect in the city, i very politely explained this, and was told if you metal detect in any city Park I could be arrested and or fined. This is not the first time i had heard of this, another Metal Detector user in my local area was harassed and insulted so bad by the police, that he about gave up on Metal Detecting, If there is no laws or regulations stating Metal Detection in City parks is illegal what can you do, nothing so i just don't do it in the City not worth the aggravation. But thank you all for your help that's what i like about this site, someone is always trying to help.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Most bureaucrats will always say no to protect themselves...even if they don't have a clue about what the rules and laws actually are.
You have private property, not easy getting up the nerve to ask permission sometimes at first but it gets easier and you get more permissions as you get better at it.

Here in Birmingham and most surrounding cities park hunting is permitted.
I looked up city websites and if there is nothing there stating specifically that hunting is not allowed I just go and never had any issues.
There are a few historical parks I would love to hunt but why push it...I have many more that are just as old and not officially declared historical to spend time at.
Even at a state park where there are rules that say I am only allowed to hunt a small beach area I did have a conversation with the head park ranger when I stopped into the office the first time I went there and he told me he really didn't care where I hunted or dug anywhere...as long as I didn't wreck up the place.

There are tons of hunters all over this state and even though a big issue most of have to deal with in different degrees is the rotten mineralized dirt finding places to hunt, even public places, doesn't seem to be a huge problem.
Most of us seem to do pretty good and have fun no matter where we live.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... my local Parks and Recreation, did get back to me, I was told There is no Metal Detecting in the Parks, so i look up the City laws and regulation for Parks and Recreation, there are no laws or regulations stating you can not metal Detect in the city,....

Yup: A case-example of the "no one cared till you asked" psychology. And there's been cases where someone fetched a no to this "pressing question" like you got, only to later find out that other md'rs have md'd there for years, and never had an issue or problem.

... i very politely explained this, ....

aldee2012, so let me understand: You pointed out to them that there is nothing specifically saying "no md'ing", in the laws/rules, right ? Well just be aware that while this might be a necessary logical step if something ever came to push & shove in-the-field. Yet as a pre-emptive move/debate, it's not a good idea. Because some genius there could think "Hmmm, let's invent a rule to close this loophole". And then guess what shows up on the agenda of proposed new rules, at the next city council meeting ? So be careful with that.

.... and was told if you metal detect in any city Park I could be arrested and or fined. .....
No doubt they were basing that on an assumption you're about to deface, alter, take, remove, etc... Or perhaps something about cultural heritage (heaven forbid you disturb a 1957 wheatie)? Aldee2012, I don't know if the type places that this is about was perhaps some obvious historic sensitive monument. If so, then sure, perhaps their threat could occur.

But if we're talking normal run-of-mill park, beach, sandboxes, etc.... then no. I don't think you can cite any example of any such "arrests" . A scram at best. But if you can cite any example of someone getting "arrested" for innocuous parks where no specific rule exists, then let us know. But I bet any example of an "arrest" you could find, will no doubt be for someone who can't take a warning. Or someone night-sneaking historic sensitive monuments. Or some place with a specific prohibition that the person could have found listed, with any effort.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... i had heard of this, another Metal Detector user in my local area was harassed and insulted so bad by the police, that he about gave up on Metal Detecting, If there is no laws or regulations stating Metal Detection in City parks is illegal what can you do, nothing ....

There is never a 100% guarantee that you will never get a scram or flack from someone. Unfortunately we're in a hobby that is an oddity and a curiosity. And it's a hobby that has "connotations" (that you might be about to leave a hole). So you've got to develop a tough skin and know how to give lip service sometimes.

And I know this opens up a whole other can of worms, but not every time you hear a "scram" (even from a policeman) does it constitute "law" from then on out. Sometimes it just means give lip service, let the place have a rest for awhile.

An example of this psychology: My buddy and I were at a favorite park, which is 1.5 hrs. from me. So I don't get there that often. And ... after over 10 yrs. of working it whenever I'm passing through, lo & behold, one time we got booted by a lady cop. We were just about to call it a day anyhow, so we gave lip service and left.

Coincidentally, shortly thereafter, I began to correspond on-line with a hunter from that city. I told him about experience. He was shocked. Because he detects there all the time and had never heard so much as "boo". So now he's in a pickle: Does he continue to go ? Or does my encounter constitute a "law" now ? Or should he go to city hall and "seek clarification" now ? He grappled with going to city hall to get to the bottom of this. But I suggested that he NOT do that. Lest he merely open up a can of worms.

So he decided to do nothing, and to just continue (till told otherwise). A year or two passed, and he never heard "boo" from anyone. Hence a year or two later, when I was passing through the area, I too hunted there again. For awhile, he and I were ... uh .... careful to go at low traffic times, etc... But after awhile, the issue was forgotten. That was nearly 20 yrs. ago, and to this day, you can hunt that park to your heart's content. I suspect our lady-cop was perhaps just responding to a call-out, and hence had to justify her time in having come there.

So.... just sayin ' .... sometimes you need to pick lower traffic times , and have a thicker skin.

OP
OP
A

aldee2012

Jan 7, 2017
DeLand Florida
Detector(s) used
Makro Kruzer
Vulcon 360
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Athens is terrible, the city and a lot of the older home owners, do not want you on their property, i believe it's the old money syndrome, but you can't do any thing about it, like they say you can't fight city hall, so i just stay away, makes life easier, and like you said TVA is just about got every thing sewn up, thanks for the information about Decatur I will check it out.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do even live in Alabama and have gotten permission and hunted thousands of acres on private property around Bridgeport and Stevenson. Many member do we around Fort Payne as well. Are you from Alabama? Huntsville produces well also.

OP
OP
A

aldee2012

Jan 7, 2017
DeLand Florida
Detector(s) used
Makro Kruzer
Vulcon 360
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes from Athens area, actual i live tn the Clements area which is about 10 minutes away, but i have a Athens mailing address

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes from Athens area, actual i live tn the Clements area which is about 10 minutes away, but i have a Athens mailing address
it just takes practice to get permission. You will get many people that say no and then one person says yes and that might lead to more if they like you and you are respectful. I have had people tell me to come inside that lunch or dinner was ready, Lol People in the south are like that. Good luck and research the civil war movement that was near you...

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Athens is terrible, the city and a lot of the older home owners, do not want you on their property, i believe it's the old money syndrome, but you can't do any thing about it, like they say you can't fight city hall, so i just stay away, makes life easier, and like you said TVA is just about got every thing sewn up, thanks for the information about Decatur I will check it out.

As G.I.B. mentioned, private property would be your best bet.

If you see an older home for sale, it doesn't hurt to knock on the door and ask to metal detect their yard. . . after all, they're moving right? I've done that a number of times and after explaining metal detecting is my hobby and that I like history, I'll get the green light more often than not. It also doesn't hurt to mention you would be happy to return any heirloom trinkets they or a family member may have lost in the yard.

I've also had good luck with demo properties that are going to be torn down. Check with your local Building/Zoning Dept. to see if any homes are on slate for demolition.

Good luck!

gooseman518

Greenie
Mar 20, 2016
upper new york
Detector(s) used
AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way I go about it is, if it doesn't say no metel detecting and isn't a historical site or posted or has a hundred people in the park at the time it's fair game in any state. less people less questions less problems to a cure. lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread