Alcohol can, trying to find the value.

bullgill

Jun 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I paid $4 at an auction tonight for this, I have to pick it up in the morning or else I would have pictures but it is the same as the one in the picture on worthpoint.

The one I found is an empty never opened test can.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-original-champlin-rustproof-885466566

Really wish the publicly available worthpoint account wasn't banned because that info should be free to ebay sellers and collectors.

Thanks for any help.
vintage-original-champlin-rustproof_1_5d2ea8729fc77e048c4b4a5ca1a24826.jpg

OP
OP
bullgill

bullgill

Jun 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgot to add, the one I found is in nice shape.

OP
OP
bullgill

bullgill

Jun 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Champlin One Quart Metal Can | eBay

Found a sold one on ebay, I guess mine is worth around $30-$50 because it is a test can in nice shape.
Anybody let me know if I have something that might be better than I think.

OP
OP
bullgill

bullgill

Jun 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is unopened but empty. That means they did not fill it and that makes it a test can.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
It is unopened but empty. That means they did not fill it and that makes it a test can.
I had an extensive beer can collection for years, over 3,000 cans, quite a few empty ones. That was due to evaporation because seam separation not seen by the naked eye, not by the fact the cans were never filled. Empty cans very rarely mean "test can", most of the time the contents has evaporated. This would be especially true for something that evaporates as easy as denatured alcohol....

OP
OP
bullgill

bullgill

Jun 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The beer cans that I think are test cans are very firm as if they were injected with air. I would think if the contents evaporated than the can would be easily dented. I am fully ready to accept your explanation though, I am sure there are quite a few collectors on ebay that would hate themselves for buying test cans if this is the case.

Thanks for the reply.

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
The beer cans that I think are test cans are very firm as if they were injected with air. I would think if the contents evaporated than the can would be easily dented. I am fully ready to accept your explanation though, I am sure there are quite a few collectors on ebay that would hate themselves for buying test cans if this is the case.

Thanks for the reply.
Steel cans don't dent as easily as later aluminum cans, yours certainly should be a steel can based on age...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions