alibates.jpg

Can you tell if this is Alibates? found in Ok..not personal find

THX
lisa

Upvote 0

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
It looks like Alibates however there is also another similar looking dolomite source called Day Creek which outcrops in southwestern Kansas and in the western Oklahoma panhandle.

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thank you, that's what I was wondering, if there was another type it might be... I'll read up

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
The quarry is on the Canadian River, not really that far from the panhandle of Oklahoma. If it was found there, it could have simply been carried. A good chunk of Oklahoma is down river from the quarry, I'm sure pieces of it have been carried down river over the last tens of thousands of years. (And probably picked up by man for a good number of those years.)

11KBP would certainly have seen more Alibates than I have, but from the couple of raw chunks I have had it isn't particularly translucent until it's heat treated. And it doesn't heat very well as thick chunks (normally it's heated as already thinned flaked blanks or spalls.) If you hold a flashlight up and it's got good translucency it might be something else.

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thank you...I believe this was found on the Ark. river, in NE okieland so how it got there...? I just think it's beautiful. and my friend who owns knows that I covet it ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread